Fly Tying
jd1983

Sow/Scud dubbing - anyone else struggle?

Decided to tie up some rainbow warriors and that sow/scud dubbing wore me out. I struggled to get it on the thread to my liking. Anyone else struggle with this stuff? Ideas on where I may be going wrong (too much, trying to get it too tight)?

I use loon tacky wax. a bit too tacky but works great and i agree, a little goes a long way, might be putting on a bit too much.

years ago when i was working on drafting boards, we had a sponge cup handy for erasing the ink on mylar drawings we worked on. Just moisten the sponge

51NZVd9Q%2BzL.jpg

Being a clutz this works for me 😀

saliva does it for me. layering works well, especially with any leggy dubbing; dub a little, wrap, repeat. after finished, pick out a few strands if i like with bodkin.

It has got to be the amount I was trying to use. No amount of spit or wax seemed to work when I was tying them. Maybe I'll try one today to see if that's the deal.

I had a lot of trouble with Ice Dub until someone told me to use more pressure when squeezing the dubbing onto the thread. It requires a LOT more pressure than I was used to.

I'm going to try all the other suggestions from this thread, especially the dub/wrap/dub/wrap, but more pressure got me over the hump.

I tied some last night and didn't have trouble and used only UTC 70 thread without adding wax (I'll try fishing them today after lunch at the river!). Like it's been said... use a little and a lot of pressure to get a tight noodle. I'm still learning to dub well (not there yet) but found the sow-scud from Wapsi a little easier than the UV Ice Dub from Hareline. The just goes on a little differently (in its behavior). Just practice, practice, practice. I find that tying a slew of the same pattern helps get a technique learned better. Early this week I tied a bunch of Frenchies. The trees loved them so much I needed to tie a half dozen more. Now I'm pretty good with Ice Dub. Just take your time and enjoy the learning. The videos all over YouTube show the "pros" dubbing and they make it look simple to do. It is I'm sure once it becomes a learned skill. Have fun!

I had the pleasure of meeting Barry Ord Clarke couple of years ago at a show! While on the conversation about dubbing, i mentioned i use to try & Dub to much, then i started to work with the princepul if i think there is not enough? There is probably already to much! He said that is a very good way to think when dubbing!