Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WVUontheFLY

Building Fly Rod Questions

I am looking to take the next step in the fly fishing quest and build my next couple of rods. I am wanting to build a 5 wt with fighting butt and then a 10 wt, I was wondering what type of guides would be best and then on the 10 wt how many layers of wraps would I need to make on the guides? Would appreciate any advice that anyone can give.

On the 5 wt I would look at little single foot guides, and then something a little bigger for the stripper.

Snake guides or recoils would be pretty cool on a 10wt

Personally, I only ever use one layer of wraps,

I have a weird taste in guides for the fly rods I've built. I use the single foot guides, but rather than those specifically made for fly rods, I use spinning guides. The idea was suggested to me by rod builder named Dale Clemens back when I first started building my own fly rods about 20 years ago. I had been building my own spinning and trolling rides for about 10 years at the time. The Fuji single foot fly rod guides had rings with an inside diameter too small to let a weight forward line really flow through them when they first came out. Get some strange looks and comments, but I find they make shooting line a lot easier. Stripper guides either one or two double foot guides depending on the length and weight of the blanks you end up choosing. I'm not sure about the fighting butt on the 5 weight, but that's the beauty of building your own. I would suggest a screw in fighting butt for both rods. One layer of thread wraps is all you need. The only time I've used two layers is on my larger spinning rods and on my trolling rods. Enjoy. It's a pleasant way to spend a cold winter day or evening.

Thank you for the beginnings of some information, I want the fighting butt for carp, large smallmouth, and possibly light salt possibly on a trip to Florida. For the 5wt I will be using a salt water action fly rod, same for the 10wt. There are so many times of guides I didn't know where to start.

Remember that its the finish that really holds the guides in place. With modern two part finishes, no need to use more than a single layer of size A thread. I have one rod that I did almost 30 years ago, and it has the original wraps and finish, colors have yellowed some, but its still solid, and fishes fine.

I built a single foot 7 wt. For me the single footers are not as tough as a traditional snake guide. Fishing from a kayak, I often end up in fallen trees, under fallen branches, so the guides get abused. Agree with utyer single wrap of A is good. Have fun, nothing quite like catching a fish on a fly you tyed and on a rod you built. Lots of good folks here who will help you out.

Elder has a good point on rod abuse and single foot guides. I use snakes for flyrods personally, especially on a rod sized down around 5 wt. ( I may be missing an extra 5 ft of casting distance but I wouldn't know, ignorance is bliss !!) There are places online where you can order either style in sets to fit a given rod length. But for me, the snakes are the safe bet on durability. Even my store bought spinning rods seem to end up with bent single foot guides or missing inserts etc.

Steve built a rod for me a couple of years ago, and used Minima single foot guides. It's a 7'6" 4 weight and it shoots line better than most of my larger, longer rods. I love those guides.

My NEW http://midwestcustomflyrods.com/ rod also has the single foot guides. It's a 9' 8 weight and I can hardly stand waiting for the fly line to get here. I want to get it out fishing!

Like Dave, I don't know if the guides make a HUGE difference ... but they do make a noticeable one.

you might want to check out rodbuildingforum.com

also there is a link on the links section on the homepage of this site; its like everything you want to know about rod building!

I don't like single foot guides. I built one with SFG and didn't like it. They're hard to wrap on, at least for the unschooled, like me.

As for wraps on the guides, on layer of wrapping thread.

I've built a number of flyrods with single foot guides and have never had a problem with them. As Gene pointed out, they are a little more difficult to hold in place as you start the wrap but then you also only have half as many wraps to ultimately do.

Rodbuilding.org has tons of information and I would highly recommend getting his (Kirkman's) book on building rods. It's inexpensive and one of the best rod building books on the market in my opinion.

Dave

"....want the fighting butt for carp, large smallmouth, and possibly light salt possibly on a trip to Florida. For the 5wt I will be using a salt water action fly rod, same for the 10wt. There are so many times of guides I didn't know where to start.

Not sure what rigging is going to be flowing through your 10 wt. guides, but if it consists of loop-to-loop connections,

or knotted leaders and such, I have found snake guides more 'helpful' than single foot guides. You may want to look

into Snake Brand guides, pricey but worth it. And perhaps a lightweight SIC ceramic insert guide for strippers and tiptop?

Other considerations that I found helpful for me when building a rod ~ I think of the fish I'm after, the size of flies I'll be casting, then the line/leader/tippet regime, then the rod & reel. Building it backwards so to speak. A salt-proof reel is something else to look at too.

Get yer eyeballs over to http://www.rodbuildingforum.com & http://rodbuilding.org - tons of

good info when starting out.

When I build a rod I use narrow strips of masking tape to put them on first. Then I set up the reel and line I am going to use on it. String it up and put the rod in a working arc, like fighting a fish to see if the pressure on the blank is even and make any needed adjustment to spacing. I then go outside and cast it. If I am happy with it I already have the guides taped in place and it easy to start wrapping.

The only time I have ever used more then one layer of wraps was for an under layer. This helps protect the blank from the guide feet but does cut down on the sensativity of the rod. And I prefer single foot guides. The stripper is a double foot. I also like to use an oversize tip if I can get one that fits the blank.

BIG OL' +1 on rodbuilding.org and Tom Kirkman's book Rod Building Guide: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling Those two resources took me from building rods that I was ashamed to show anyone to building rods I could show off with pride or even sell.