Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

sink sink sink

I need some more wire to make my flies sink. But...i dont wanna use lead. Is there any wire that doesn't add as much bulk but sinks just as fast or faster. i also wanna stay away from buying hooks made to sink.

Thanks

Well, I'm pretty new at this, but usually when i tie patterns that i need to sink (and retain a sleek figure) i use ultra-wire (I think that's the name). Because the UW is thin, it might take two layers to make it heavy enough for certain patterns, but it still stays thin. But now that i think about it, it seems like a waste of wire wink.gif

Or you can use adhesive lead. I've seen that in a couple patterns, but I'm not sure how available it is.

Hope I've been of some help.

I like tungsten sheet- its around 1/16 th inch thick and easily cut( read weight adjusted) and used as underbody with being bulky and sink like a rocket:)

Will

didnt think about the bead heads. ...but I am wanting it to work bass streamers and trout...I know I could buy lead eyes for the bass but then I'd have to buy something else for the trout. I think the UW might be what I need. I will look more about the tungsten sheets and stuff. Thanks everyone!