Fly Tying
BnD

lamson or hardie?

Looking at purchasing a new fly reel in the new year, done with cheap crap i want a reel that lasts...i'm leaning towards lamson or hardie...i fish mostly salmon and steelhead in rivers...thoughts on both?

I own the Lamson konic ii for my 7 wt that I actually just landed 5 steelhead on this morning. Very solid drag system although the reel itself is not of the quality of the machined models in the higher price range. (But they all have the same drag I believe)

That is correct all the same drag system just with different quality a of metal/machining. Great reels. I have one I use with my single handed 8 wt. for pyramid lake. Which is salty sandy and alkaline. It has stood up great so far with just giving it a wash under tap water after each use.. Go American!

If I was putting the reel on a bamboo rod it would be the Hardy because I think Hardy belongs on bamboo. Any other rod it would be the Lamson.

Unless you are fishing a two handed rod, swinging flies for steel and salmon and want a click reel for the sound of it on a screaming run, go for the HARDY. Otherwise the Lamson is an extremely good reel in any of the models they make.

I don't believe you have to spend heavy for a reel that will last if you fish for freshwater species.

If you do buy some hardy reels you can expect to make a big chunk of money or more back if you ever sell it.

Check the danielsson reels for their current offers. Some great deals.

Off topic but I'm perfectly happy with my Redington and Okuma reels as far as disk drag reels goes.. And my Orvis Battenkills have been good too for click drag reels.

I can't see spending over $100 for a reel that will last.

Hardy runs in my veins! The Hardy Marquis reel is very afordable & i'm gonna get one when the time comes! Also maybe try looking for a used Hardy reel? You won't loose any money with the Made in Alnwick England stamp! I have a Cascapedia Mkll & love it to death! Misses sees it as another stupid chunk of alloy!

Also! I don't know if this is true or not? But a couple of years ago i was looking at reels for a 2wt! Not in my local shop, the guy said the Hardy 3000dd has a drag to strong even when on minimum! When i asked what about that Lamson waterworks? He said don't even go there, all the parts are machined in China & reels sold for American made prices! True or not? I don't know? And i did walk out with a SAGE click ll & not the Hardy 3000dd, so i did buy a real US reel & not my loved Hardy! True or not, Chinese Lamson? I don't know!

Hardy runs in my veins! The Hardy Marquis reel is very afordable & i'm gonna get one when the time comes! Also maybe try looking for a used Hardy reel? You won't loose any money with the Made in Alnwick England stamp! I have a Cascapedia Mkll & love it to death! Misses sees it as another stupid chunk of alloy!

Hey as long as she doesn't see it as "the other woman" , IE competition, then you're all set !! lol Let her think it's just a chunk of alloy, perfect.

IMO.

There is run of the mill fresh water fly fishing and fresh water fly fishing for big, strong, fighters with speed in their repertoire. The former require only a relatively smooth drag that you set light and add finger tension to adjust as needed. (I never fool with a drag knob in mid fight.) Those otherwise adequate reels can come unglued -- chatter and even seize up -- if challenged by big Atlantic or Pacific salmon, trophy steelhead, or fresh water stripers. (Oddly, big pike and muskies do not make scorching runs with fast currents behind them and reels for them just need to be ruggedly built.) But sealed drag systems are in order for the long running speedsters as any debris in the works can cause real problems. Such reels also should have wide arbors to allow for lots backing and provide more efficient line take up when the fish swaps ends and heads at you.

The Gurus rule in the latter case.

Rocco

I wonder what all the striper, salmon, and steelhead fishermen did back in the days before sealed drags and CNC machined reels.

Oh, yeah, Lefty Kreh wrote about what they used to do... they used to know how to fish.

I wonder what all the striper, salmon, and steelhead fishermen did back in the days before sealed drags and CNC machined reels.

Oh, yeah, Lefty Kreh wrote about what they used to do... they used to know how to fish.

It would be crazy to think that reels havnt come a long way. I remember having to poor water over my dads reel fighting a bonefish,

now yes they have come a long way but there are also a lot of inferior materials used today so its important to know what your buying.

These guys of the past were bot necessarily better fisherman, there was a lot les s fishing pressure and better fish populations! Combine that with the much heavier tackle used and there you have it!

JSzymczyk, exactly. An exposed rim and your left palm. Nothing better than a fish leaving friction burns and bashed thumbs.

I hate reels that have an audible noise so disc drags tend to be in my arsenal but I only have the drag set tk stop the flow pulling line off and I don't touch after that.