Fly Tying
vicrider

Monthly swap begin or end? Pics of past year

PJ2, yours are here. Got front page updated now.

whooo, I was getting worried. Great News! Btw i hope you dig the little extras for you,.. thanks again Vic.

My flies were apparently delayed, but they were delivered to your post box this morning. I need to get them out more than a week ahead to allow for whatever .... I'll do better.

add, the second post under the pics in this thread has the names in this month. Yours was one of the earlier received and the marked tiers are up to date. Still a few on the way but should be here soon.

Tracking number says mine are in the "parcel locker" in sunny Cheyenne, Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!) Sorry they are late.

BB

:-) I'll go and check my "parcel locker" in a couple of hours. Need to mail a few things too. We also just got our notice our $68 locker rent is due. Quite a deal that is. Since we don't have a Mailbox where we'd get the mail delivered free we have to pay for the right of them just setting it in a little 4x4 slot and drive to pick it up. If anything they should pay us not to have to deliver but NOOO, we pay them.

Mine were in the mail when I got home from school. Thanks Vic and everyone in the swap, these loot great. Netabrookie, bummer you had to drop out, your dry fly is one of the best I've seen. I expect it will do well for me this spring. Thanks again, and I'll have my Feb. Flies in the mail as soon as I can (tomorrow most likely unless something comes up).

I have to say you guys are talented, I have to step my game up lol if anybody has any comments to help based off of my fly you guys received ( the gold bead hairs ear soft hackle) please message me I appreciate any and all comments.

Joe Dont sell yourself short .I really like what you sent. The great things about swaps is they make improve our skills. We also get the chance to see what others use in their areas.

Joe Dont sell yourself short .I really like what you sent. The great things about swaps is they make improve our skills. We also get the chance to see what others use in their areas.

Thanks, I have only recently started tying small flies (less than #4) while I know I have the tying ability I lack a little in the proportions dept. :)

PJ2 and Joe, I found the opposite. I just finished my salt water deceivers for Li'l Dave's swap. They are technically for Lefty's Deceivers but never have liked the basic tie and exploring options I found anything ties as a streamer seems to get called a Deceiver. With that in mind I tackled some of the more popular types of ties for salt water and GGRRR, what a mess. I found several Deceiver patterns with synthetics and know a lot of salties use them. So I had enough bentback salty hooks in a nice size (I think) and went to work. Okay, line things up. Congo hair Baitfish Blue, Minnow Belly White, Mixed Minnow back (3 colors blended). Down the sides I used a small amount of SF Crackly Flash of some kind. Now I gotta tell ya', this stuff isdd 10 times messier to work with than any feathers of fur. I'd lock in bentback hook and start with point up. Take a small bundle of blue, try to sort it out, throw it out. Try again with a small bundle and grab one end HARD and pull a bunch of short chit out. Split that bundle, tie half down one side of hook and half on other side lateral line like. Poke finger on hook smoothing it out. Turn hook over put the belly on not quite reaching end of blue. Take small bites SF and tie down each over top of blue Congo Hair and cuss a blue streak as half of it falls out. Roll hook back up, put minnow shaded hair on top trying to keep a mix of the 3 colors in the big bunch.

Okay, now singe any fuzz that couldn't be trimmed or covered by head and try not to burn fly up. Then take off and smooth side of fly and attach eye on each side and dig in good. Then use a bunch of UV to lock eye in and stiffen front of fly and add gloss to head. I would much rather do a dozen size #24 Adams Parachutes than another bunch of these. Even the Hog Snares went together with less cussin' even if they took longer.

DSC01385_zpsppgnoucn.jpg

DSC01384_zpstpqegscw.jpg

No, they don't have different colored eyes on each side. Half are blue and half are silver with what I had left. And I can still only post through photobucket.

This was a 26 parachute and a 32 dry fly (tail, dubbing, hackle) for one swap on another board.

DSC01099_zpsecsda9ur.jpg

And this is a size 28 or 30 parachute with a size 24 beadhead sparkle nymph with hotspot. Hardest part...putting 1.5mm tungsten beads on a 24 hook.

DSC01155_zps0srvceol.jpg