Fly Tying
vicrider

Monthly swap begin or end? Pics of past year

Looking up at that last picture I forgot to mention I tied those freehand using the vice grips to hold the hooks. And I've got a bridge for sale.

The wire does have a purpose though. I do that on all the mini ties. It proves the eye is open and a 5x or 6x will go, or at least an 8x.

Joe Dont sell yourself short .I really like what you sent. The great things about swaps is they make improve our skills. We also get the chance to see what others use in their areas.

Thanks, I have only recently started tying small flies (less than #4) while I know I have the tying ability I lack a little in the proportions dept. smile.png

Joe, I caught 2 fish on 2 casts with your fly, my only February fish so far

Also Vic, where do you get hooks that small?

Joe Dont sell yourself short .I really like what you sent. The great things about swaps is they make improve our skills. We also get the chance to see what others use in their areas.

Thanks, I have only recently started tying small flies (less than #4) while I know I have the tying ability I lack a little in the proportions dept. smile.png

Joe, I caught 2 fish on 2 casts with your fly, my only February fish so far

Great!! I tie what I think works and I love soft hackle! Even on my salt flies I try to get it in there somewhere. Happy to hear it produced, I know the panfish love them.

Sammothner, you've done it now. Joe's going to have to go out and buy hat sizes 2 sizes bigger. And those hooks are available through a lot of hook outlets. Not all though. I have been fortunate to have a couple of guys thinning down on hooks and things who had some of the rare 30 and 32 sizes. And yes, I do tie those through a magnifier. I did once tie a run of size 26 Adams with the wings. Normally when we start tying anything below 20 wings are forgotten in the normal sense. It's fairly easy to tie a 22 or 24 midge with tail, dubbed body, and Antron wings in spent position. The place those are most used from what I've found in AR and read a lot is in the real clear tailwater sections of the major dam outlets that are well known for big fish feeding on mysis and midges.

Hey guys I have been dealing with a sick child. My flies are tied, I am just waiting for an opportunity to get them in the mail. I will get them out by the end of the month. I apologize for my tardiness but I have to take care of my son. Thanks.

WTH, yes, first things first and that's getting the little back up and about again (if he's old enough for that). These are only flies and we still a bunch to get here anyway.

Guys sending out my flies tomorrow got severely back up with my job. Had them ready two weeks ago and didnt send. They are ready to go.

....The place those are most used from what I've found in AR and read a lot is in the real clear tailwater sections of the major dam outlets that are well known for big fish feeding on mysis and midges....

Yeah, like the stupid Clinch River right by me! I still haven't figured this stupid river out. I can be on the water in just a little over 45 minutes, counting putting on my waders and rigging up and I usually will drive further to get into the Smoky Mountains because I can catch far more fish there. There have been more days I've been skunked on the Clinch than anywhere else and when I ask guys what they're catching fish on the answer 4/5 times is a size 20/22 midge...the same thing I’d been using! I have no idea what makes my midges less appealing!!

Rant over haha. Long story short, the Clinch here north of Knoxville is another place that has some pretty big fish feeding on some pretty small stuff.

vicrider,

I assume you have received my flies? I have not heard anything...Hope all is well on your end!