Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

AIR-LOC INDICATORS?

They work great. Quickly and easily adjustable. Don't kink leader, and more importantly, don't ever slip. They have stayed tight on any sized leader I've used them on. In my opinion, they render the Thingamabobber useless. This is not a paid endorsement.

The smallest size is 3/4".

THAT is a bobber. If the fish are as "spooky" as some claim, that thing will scare everything within a 10 foot radius away. At that size, it will also take some doing to pull under, causing even touchy bluegill to let the fly go before the hook set.

They do look like great bobbers for bait fishing, though.

do they have an option for attaching a hook directly to the indicator? For when the exceptionally spooky trout in the FFO stretch of the Yellow Breeches come up and hit the indicator instead of the size 20 midge larva everyone KNOWS you need to use in order to fool them...

Oh, and I rather like quill-type floats for my bait fishing.

The guy at Baldwin Bait & Tackle sold me one a few weeks ago, claiming they were so much better than Thingamabobbers. It worked fine, but I personally prefer the Thingamabobber. I don't trust that little plastic screw not to strip, let go, or drop into the water and leave me with an unusable bobber (or all three). I never understood what the big deal about the kink in the leader from a Thingamabobber was about. You can straighten it out with a little heat and pressure from a leader straightener if you had to. I suppose if you decided to switch to dry flies, the kink might mess with your delivery a little bit, but since I only fish nymphs for steelhead, that's not a problem I have to contend with. Just my two cents.

The smallest size available is 1/2", it's fairly new. I have them.

For me, the ability to adjust the depth easily is what makes this indicator stand out. There is a rubber gasket under the line and this makes the possibility of the nut coming loose about zero percent.

They work very well! The nut will not come off. The indicator is super sensitive and detects very subtle strikes. It holds very well on 4x and 5x tippets.

If you are having difficulty attaching and easily moving the Thingamabobber to the the leader without deforming the leader. Here are instructions for the best attaching method.

Some are having difficulty attaching and easily moving the Thingamabobber to the the leader without deforming the leader. Here are instructions for the best attaching method.

You Prusik knot a rubber band to the leader.

prusik.gif

Then you

the attachment hole in the Thinggamabobber to the other end of the rubber band.

Girth%20Hitch_400w.jpg

The Prusik knot will keep the Thingamabobber in place and yet can be moved along the leader when you want. It doesn't ruin the leader as other systems. If the section of the leader is thin, this may not work as well.

The pages in the book below has a series of illustrations.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xVUjNlybCkEC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=attaching+thingamabobber+with+a+girth+hitch&source=bl&ots=86Agidi9t8&sig=tXmekIXkXIncvCc5TJ_XLFg3AhE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifpL6QjonKAhXKTCYKHd8BBkcQ6AEIKDAB#v=onepage&q=attaching%20thingamabobber%20with%20a%20girth%20hitch&f=false

I got some when they first came out and I liked them, except for a couple of issues. They didn't have one small enough and it was easy to drop the nut and lose it, making the whole thing useless.

Fast forward to this summer. Tim Rajeff was handing out samples of the new 1/2" size. They were really still prototypes at that time. They are now in stores and a package of three comes with an extra nut. Both of my problems were addressed. Kudos to Airlock.

only operator error is responsible for the problem not the product

buy the thingamabobber with the stopper

thingamabobber.jpg

or

"bobber stoppers"

EagleClaw-BobberStop-2.jpg?1371050611

only operator error is responsible for the problem not the product

buy the thingamabobber with the stopper

Yes, not all of us are perfect.

The Airlock does one thing that the stopper Thingamabobber doesn't. It allows you to remove or attach it, without removing your flies or kinking the leader. I find that helpful at times, others may not.

The Airlock does one thing that the stopper Thingamabobber doesn't. It allows you to remove or attach it, without removing your flies or kinking the leader. I find that helpful at times, others may not.

That would be very useful to me!

Another thing is that the Air-Loc looks like it has a significant

amount of surface area to securely pinch a section of tippet/leader.