Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Upgrading vise... recommendations?

I'll be tying a lot more this winter than I ever have and figure it's time to upgrade. I was given a small, cheap vise made in the 50's years ago and that's all I've ever used... So anything, really, would be an improvement.

Mostly I'll be tying streamers size 4 to 10, and nymphs size 8 to 20. Probably be using it for 5 to 7 hours per week, so want something pleasant to use.

I don't want to spend multiple hundreds of dollars and not sure I need one of the fancy ones that spin... Thinking $50-$75 range maybe?

What do you think?

With a limit of $60-$75, you're very limited in choices and likely won't get one any better than the one you have. Using modern materials and labor, it costs a good deal of money to make a good vise. An Anvil Apex (now Wolf Apex) will cost about $100 and is a fine vise. It would be my modern starting line. I don't know of another vise for that price with the quality.

Flyfish Ohio had a review of all vises that could be very helpful.

In that price range, either a Griffin 2A which will last you forever although you may out grow it, or one of the cheap India/Pakistan made knock-offs which will wear out eventually but you should get a few years service. The more you can spend now, the less you will have to spend in the future if you are a serious tier, but you know your finances the best. Good luck.

The Anvil Apex vise I believe is made by Wolf Industries. Look up the forum member Goduster and click on his business link. You can buy an Apex from him brand new with warranty for $80. Best deal on about the best vise you will find on a vise near your price range, IMO.

I recently bought a Griffin Odyssey cam vice for $100 + shipping off E-bay.

E-bay is the place to get just about any vice for less than retail ... if you don't need one RIGHT NOW.

some good recommendations above. at $50-75, it will be difficult to find anything you might view as an upgrade. The Dyna King I started out with that cost me I think $70 at the time is going now for $175; I've settled into my Renzetti that goes for $195 as a long term vise (it cost me a lot less when I bought it, that's today's price, but it is a vise I will stick with forever. I may upgrade if good fortune finds me ... but it will be a gratuitous move, not by technical need).

A good vise is one that reliably holds your hooks and feels good to you to use, as you said. If you can push your budget up just a little I think you'll be glad you did, if not you can still find a reliable vise at a reasonable price. I see that a Dyna King Kingfisher is going for $91 on ebay, a good choice. As Mike mentioned, there a number of Griffins for sale on ebay.

I've no experience with fishing stuff via ebay; but I would stay clear of the many no-name/off-brand vises advertised there for $29-60 (many are advertised simply as "quality vise" with no brand name); especially the few that are labelled "true rotary" when if fact all they do is rotate (not a true rotary). They might actually be fine, but I am suspicious. Maybe I'll buy one sometime and try it out to confirm my suspicions - I may be passing up real bargains...

It might be best if you describe what it is that you are Trying to upgrade , what you don't like about your existing vise other than it's old ( is it too big, too awkward, hooks slip, what do you not like about your vise). Most of us have given advise for vises that at least rotate if not true rotary, for instance.

It might be best if you describe what it is that you are Trying to upgrade , what you don't like about your existing vise other than it's old ( is it too big, too awkward, hooks slip, what do you not like about your vise). Most of us have given advise for vises that at least rotate if not true rotary, for instance.

What I don't like about the existing vise is that it's old and crappy looking. LOL Really it's just a basic, screw to the table pencil thin thing. Hertz I think maybe?

Spent some time yesterday researching the Griffin Odyssey Spider and for about $85 that seems like a pretty slick rig with a ton of good reviews. Not sure I need the rotation, but maybe I'd use it...

Anyhow, will spend a few more days researching and pull the trigger. Any other suggestions welcome. :)

I think you will like the rotation feature, it lets you examine your tie from all angles and I would think that helpful. Seems like you found a good fix, good luck with it.

When I upgrade it will be out of pure lust for gold, an impulse to grab the new and cosmic. I will never be unhappy with the current performance of mine. I went to my current Traveler because I do like and use the true rotary feature, but I'd be fine without it.

Tyers need to give ourselves permission to be indulgent from time to time, it isn't always about "need."

Well, that depends on who I'm talking to ... if it's my wife then yes, I need it. I've also developed a fairly sophisticated ability to lie to myself. Keeps me happy. Come to think of it, staying happy is sort of a need ... my wife buys into that and I believe it ...

Not sure I need the rotation, but maybe I'd use it..

I don't use the rotation for tying ... in other words, I don't spin the fly to put material on. But I do tie on different sides of the fly. So if I am tying on the left side, I can rotate it to the "up" position and tie material on as if I was tying on top of the hook.

It also allows me to rotate it easily, as DJ stated, to see the other side of the fly. I am always surprised at how different a fly looks from the side we DON'T see while we're tying.