Fly Tying
DrLogik

Stream current replicator gizmo

Have played with the Fly Tester, you can copy some of the functionality with a tank, but there a bit more engineering to this device. I really like how you can also test swinging flies on the surface, and drifting nymphs as well, for example. It is meant to test more than just how a streamer looks in current. The price to me is not as daunting as the problem storing something like this in a convenient place, but I do like the product.

I'm not sure a tyer needs one of these... at least a hobby tyer, but I can see each fly shop having one. Here in Fla, Bill Jackson's store has one.

Also a good idea for tying clubs to get one.

I'm not sure a tyer needs one of these... at least a hobby tyer, but I can see each fly shop having one. Here in Fla, Bill Jackson's store has one.

Also a good idea for tying clubs to get one.

Yep, I like testing my flies where they can be eaten!

Have played with the Fly Tester, you can copy some of the functionality with a tank, but there a bit more engineering to this device. I really like how you can also test swinging flies on the surface, and drifting nymphs as well, for example. It is meant to test more than just how a streamer looks in current. The price to me is not as daunting as the problem storing something like this in a convenient place, but I do like the product.

True, but I added a small "ramp" of plexiglass at the end of my tunnel that forces the current upward. I can test flies on top too

sorry but you guys can't build this with an aquarium. you don't get the same water hydraulics at all. will it give you an idea of what a fly looks like? sure- but save the $20 and just use your sink or bathtub.

sorry but you guys can't build this with an aquarium. you don't get the same water hydraulics at all. will it give you an idea of what a fly looks like? sure- but save the $20 and just use your sink or bathtub.

Im curious why you couldn't and im not being sarcastic im seriously curious. Isnt the fly just moving from the flow of the pump? And isnt getting an idea of what the fly looks like the whole point?

Take a look at April Vokey's streamer Test tank.
Just a pump, fish tank and a cylindrical acrylic tube to focus the flow of water.

Kimo

Joe

His comment may be because he sells them. Maybe not. Anyway I use my swimming pool and a 6 ft spinning rod and some fluorocarbon line. Just drag it in the water to make sure it swims upright. What more could I want to know? I fish for bluegills and crappie.

Joe

His comment may be because he sells them. Maybe not. Anyway I use my swimming pool and a 6 ft spinning rod and some fluorocarbon line. Just drag it in the water to make sure it swims upright. What more could I want to know? I fish for bluegills and crappie.

Good point, the video kimo posted proves it does work, swimming pool will do the trick for sure, I guess if your using new materials you'd want a closer look

or, and I know it is a radical idea, but

YOU COULD GO FISHING

Yes but then you got to put fins on and get in the water and sometimes the water visibility is not that good, and how to you hold the fly in one position so you can study it while it swims? Plus the water is very cold this time of year!! Lol your right though the best way to test a fly is get it eatin!