Fly Tying
troutguy

BWO - Blue Winged Olive Dry Fly

Some awesome flies arrived today, can't wait for the bwo's to start this weekend. WTH how did you tie that fly? The body is crazy cool, what is it made of?

Thanks guys.

The body is made of quill. If you tie with them I would suggest soaking them in warm water with a drop of Dawn mixed in to make them more pliable. Also use super glue while securing to a thread base. It is a AK Best pattern or a variation of his. I'm glad you enjoy.

Yep, mine got picked up today and they fit nicely into a space I had left in one of the boxes I hope to get to use later this year. PJ2, the BWO is known as a smaller hatch among the mayflies. My fly would have definitely been smaller except they had been tied for this month's swap of dry flies on hooks 16 or bigger. I believe mine was on a 14 and stands out in the group. The other thing is, for me, if the wings don't exceed the hackle then why take the time to put them in there except for personal reasons and looks. Since most mayflies have large wings that stick up while they're drifting I figure my flies should also have a visible wing. If you have to look hard within the hackle to see the wing I don't think it's even seen on the water. Now, most long time fishermen say the wings on the dry fly are not even necessary but I know if I'm going to take the time and trouble to put them on, they're going to be seen.

You know vic I just have to agree with you about the wings on mayfly patterns. I have done a lot of fishing using callibaetis mayflies and at least in that case big wings make a big difference. The wings on the flies I tie for callibaetis are sometimes way too big for "aesthetics" but they always work better that way. And thanks to the group for some great flies I saved a spot in my mayfly box just for em.

cheers

Returned home from vacation and found these flies had arrived in my absence. Nice flies everyone. Thank you for hosting troutguy.