Fly Tying
RexW

Fugly Hair Packed Sizes?

If you have experience with the Fugly Hair Packers, would you mind commenting on the different sizes?

The regular size seems like overkill and I'm leaning toward the Jr, but I've never actually seen anyone use either size. So, is anyone willing to comment if there is an advantage of one size over the other?

If your hands are average to small get the junior, if you have larger hands get the regular, try not to drive yourself crazy they both do the same thing :)

I have used both and have large hands, but since the jr. is $5 cheaper that is the way I went. They both do the same thing, it is just what is more comfortable in your hand. Go to a shop and hold both in hand and press the flat end on a table and see which one feels like a better fit

A large part of the effectiveness of the fugly is due to the little hole that snugs up to the shank of the hook and pushes the thread base back along with all the hair. Getting that thread smushed into the hair (without cutting it) is important for a dense bug. On a fat hook shank this is no problem. On some of the smaller diameter wire hooks it takes a little more finesse. Jeff (response #9) has no problem with his remarkable looking smaller bugs.

If the diameter of the hole formed when you squeeze the tool is the same between the Jr. and the original then it really doesn't matter. If you tie mostly #1/0 on down then go for the Jr. If you tie mostly #1/0 and bigger then the original is perfect for the task. I own the standard size.

Next time I'm at the Bear's Den I'm going to have to compare the size of the holes. Or maybe someone here already has and can chime in.

I use an old pen. Get a stick pen, remove the point and ink tube and there ya go.

That was my technique untill I tried one of these, nothing I know of can pack hair as tight as a fugly

I made this one around 16 years ago. It works great for packing hair on large hooks, all the way down to a TMC #32. It's inverse as far as spreading the jaws. You have to press them together to open it. There's a small half hole on each jaw edge where the hook shank goes. It didn't take all that long to make either!

001-4.jpg

005-2.jpg

MV ... that's a good design, but it's got the same flaw as the "Brassie" packer ... you can still slip and impale your thumb on the hook. One of the many advantages of the "Fugly" ... you can't slip and get a hook.