Fly Tying
RexW

Fugly Hair Packed Sizes?

I use an old pen. Get a stick pen, remove the point and ink tube and there ya go.

Yep...get a few, heat the end up and push it over the different size hooks you use or the Brassie works fine also.

Slip? Hold on to the damn thing! I've never impaled my fingers packing deer hair and been doing it 40+ years.

If you are really worried about your fingers put an eraser or piece of cork on the point of the hook while tying.

That Fugley is huge.

Pens and the Brassie work just fine and don't cost diddly.

0d0c9d1a-3dcf-49ea-8e35-136aad86f2fe_zps

MVC-344S_zps31a0791f.jpg

MVC-334S_zpsd6c04ab0.jpg

MVC-322S_zps6ecea8ac.jpg

MV ... that's a good design, but it's got the same flaw as the "Brassie" packer ... you can still slip and impale your thumb on the hook. One of the many advantages of the "Fugly" ... you can't slip and get a hook.

Hi Mike,

Not at all. It clamps itself to the hook. As you can see, it's rigid metal that doesn't flex at all no matter how much pressure you put on it unlike a Brassie. You grab it where the the arms cross and just push. The indented part won't allow your fingers to just slip towards the hook and thats where I hold it. Since it clamps onto the hook, you don't ever need to worry about keeping the jaws closed while packing like a Fugly or a Brassie. I've bent quite a few hooks just over packing hair with it.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't have a vendor nearby to look at one in person, so I appreciate the help.

I was looking at the DVD and the combo pack is tempting.

Moving from a pen to using a Brassie resulted in a step function improvement in my hair flies. So, something that is an improvement over a Brassie has my attention.

Thanks for the comments.

I use an old pen. Get a stick pen, remove the point and ink tube and there ya go.

Yep...get a few, heat the end up and push it over the different size hooks you use or the Brassie works fine also.

Slip? Hold on to the damn thing! I've never impaled my fingers packing deer hair and been doing it 40+ years.

If you are really worried about your fingers put an eraser or piece of cork on the point of the hook while tying.

That Fugley is huge.

Pens and the Brassie work just fine and don't cost diddly.

0d0c9d1a-3dcf-49ea-8e35-136aad86f2fe_zps

MVC-344S_zps31a0791f.jpg

MVC-334S_zpsd6c04ab0.jpg

MVC-322S_zps6ecea8ac.jpg

Absolutely no offense intended, but I have used the Brassie packer, as well as pens, and in my humble opinion neither were nearly as good as the Fugly Packer. The results on my bugs got tremendously better when I went for the Fugly. And, in case you can't quite wrap your head around what it means to be "Fugly tight," here's a clip from Mr. Cohen, himself...SANDING a deer hair bug. It's so tight and dense it can be smoothed with sandpaper.

I've got a Brassie and can't for the life of me see how this cheap tool is inferior to the Fuglly.

Thank you.

I'm still wondering what people think the fugly can do that a brassie can't do as well (if not better). So far as I can tell the fugly is just a brassie that you need to direct form a few inches farther away, meaning less fine control.

I think most of it is the "cool factor"...The only case that I can see being convincingly made for the fugly is in the case of very long hook shanks, where the eye of the hook may hit the inside of the "hinge" on the smaller brassie. Other than that, you've got essentially the same piece of equipment, still using manual force for the critical operation, and while with one you can apply that force directly where it's needed, for the other you've got to do it from a distance. It's like having a pen that needs to be held from the opposite end of the point when writing...does the same thing, but must be used in a more awkward manner.

Leverage Cold, thats what you cant get with the brassie.

Care to explain that Joe....? How does leverage equate to better compression ...?

Leverage Cold, thats what you cant get with the brassie.

Care to explain that Joe....? How does leverage equate to better compression ...?
well for me, I wear a 2x glove so being able to get my hand on there as opposed to a couple fingers allows me to pack hair that I couldn't get as tight. Maybe leverage isnt the correct word but thats what I mean. That would be the definition of using something to its maximum effectiveness and not as a lever if that makes sense

We're really just discussing hand tools here.

Personally, I find it really enjoyable to work with high quality, well made hand tools. You can feel feel the difference between a well made tool and a less well made tool. As far as the quality of the product produced? That does depend on the individual that is using the tool more than who made the tool. Parts from a pen work fine for some people, but I've always gotten poor results using them. So, a pen is not the right tool for me.

My tying improved when I switched to a Brassie. So, I agree, there is not really anything wrong with it. But going back to hand tools as an example, I get better results and enjoy using hand tools that have larger handles. They are just more comfortable to use. With a Brassie, I can only use 2 finger and thumb on it. It seems to me, that if I can use all 4 fingers, then the tool will be more comfortable to use and that I should be able to generate more compression since I would have better control of the tool.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on why I'm interested and wanted to hear the opinions of folks that have used it.

If something else works for you, then by all means keep using it. :)

I only use my thumb/finger to close the Brassie. All the compression is furnished by my forearm. The Fugly is not in my opinion a fine tool, it's just a simple spring.

Yet another thread where people post and don't answer the original posters question which was which size Packer should he get is there an advantage in one over the other

It's fine to offer other opinions but you should at least have used the product the poster is asking about ;)

I've got a Brassie and can't for the life of me see how this cheap tool is inferior to the Fuglly.

The brassie is not inferior, its just another size of the same tool, if im tying a #10 popper ill use a brassie, #2/0 diver im using fully packer, its like using a tackhammer to hit a railroad spike or a sledgehammer to hit a tack, right tool for the job. And then I comes down to science there's going to be more force applied through a larger heavier tool than a lighter smaller one!

I only use my thumb/finger to close the Brassie. All the compression is furnished by my forearm. The Fugly is not in my opinion a fine tool, it's just a simple spring.

My thoughts precisely.

If I'm putting something together with phillips head screws, I can use just about any phillips head screwdriver that'll fit in the screw. That said, if there's nothing impeding my access to that screw head, I'm going to use the shortest screwdriver I have, because it's getting my hand closer to the working surfaces (that being the screwdriver head and the screw). I'm not gaining anything, and I'm increasing the awkwardness by using a 12" long screwdriver on that screw.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for using a fugly packer, just that, to this point (even after asking others, not just here), I've yet to hear any explanation as to how the fugly is functionally superior to the brassie in any way. Except, of course, the rare situation of a fly hook that is longer than the Brassie is deep.

I'm open to such an explanation (hell, I'd love to justify adding another tool to my tying desk), but so far, there's been no conclusive proof that the fugly is anything other than a more awkward tool that accomplishes the same task with more user effort.

More cost. And I'm a tool-nut. Maybe I don't pack enough hair to realize the benefits and I am not opposed to the Fugly.