Fly Tying

Surf Candies are a great fly for a subtle presentation. These mimic a small transparent fish very well. Made originally by Bob Popovics to fish bluefish in the surf, these quickly started showing up in fly fisherman's boxes for just about all species. Traditionally tied with this olive color, you can tie just about any color you want. They will match most of the hatches in the world both saltwater inshore and freshwater. These are also very durable flies since the first 1/3 of the fly is covered in epoxy. Toothy fish will not be able to rip off the flies hairs.
Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 size 1/0
Thread: Clear Monofilament (fine)
Fiber: Ultra Hair in Clear and Olive(or any fine crimped clear fiber)
Flash: Flashabou (fine)
Lateral Line: Flashabou (thick/saltwater)

Epoxy: Solarez "Thin Hard", "Thick Hard" and "Ultra Thin - Bone Dry" formula's.

https://youtu.be/pVDYJToSOaA

Nicely done!

Thanks! Honestly this is the first time I have ever tied one of these. A friend just gave me the unique hair (I didnt have any clear fiber before). I knew how to tie them, just never gave it a try. Unfortunately I started shooting on the first one. I should have waited cause my next few are a bit better... Check out the photo's of the others. It took a while to figure out the epoxy.

post-58316-0-91157500-1455515698_thumb.jpg

post-58316-0-12245700-1455515720_thumb.jpg

They look great, the only thing I dont like about tying them is how much uv glue they use! So I tie mine with epoxy on a drying wheel its a pain but a lot less expensive if your tying a bunch!

They look great, the only thing I dont like about tying them is how much uv glue they use! So I tie mine with epoxy on a drying wheel its a pain but a lot less expensive if your tying a bunch!

Yeah I hear ya. But this Solarez UV Resin is not badly priced. A full 2 oz for $21. Yes its more than the 5 minute epoxy, but not much. I think the 2 oz bottles of 5 minute epoxy are $10 roughly. I just hate waiting for that stupid epoxy to dry. It runs, and never comes out looking as nice cause I cannot cure it to the exact shape I want, you know?

Sometimes less is more...........

Hey your back commenting on my post. If really like to get your opinion of the new video style. If you hadn't noticed I took a lot of your advice.

Nick ... your girlfriend is just telling you that to make you feel better.

Omg. She's lying to me ?

Ummm ... if she's a real girlfriend or wife, she is.

It's that old, "Do these pants make my butt look big?"

We NEVER tell the truth ... what in the world would make you think they do !?!?!?

Love isn't blind ... it's ... tactful.

Ummm ... if she's a real girlfriend or wife, she is.

It's that old, "Do these pants make my butt look big?"

We NEVER tell the truth ... what in the world would make you think they do !?!?!?

Love isn't blind ... it's ... tactful.

After 20 years of marriage....

post-58316-0-78476000-1455657241_thumb.jpeg