Fly Tying
FattyMatt

bendback question

Thanks to you guys I finally found the 60 degree hooks! Since they're hard to find and they were on backorder, I bought a bunch of #6-#2 for bones and permit and some #1-2/0 for smb and stripers back home.

Results to follow. I'm really excited to achieve some hook-up, barely weighted flatsworthy mantis shrimp, merkins, Peterson spawning shrimp and e.p. shrimp and crabs. If they work, they'll be pretty unique flies. All the commercially tied versions either spook everything on the flats or they ride sideways or upside down.

post-51578-0-33171200-1457196842_thumb.png

I use alot of gamakatsu 604's. I don't like bending hooks if I can help it. I've always called these reverse bendbacks, since you're tying on an incline.

The XLWG's aren't as versatile, but still fun.

post-57933-0-74948600-1457283486_thumb.jpg

post-57933-0-70840000-1457283588_thumb.jpg

post-57933-0-26857800-1457284012_thumb.jpg

post-57933-0-92876700-1457284023_thumb.jpg

Not the greatest quality picture in the bathtub, my camera screen is cracked, but here's the solution! No lead, it rides hook up even when stripped or popped really hard in to rushing water from the faucet. It rides perfect with or without a tiny bead chain.

These shrimp and the unweighted versions of the other ones I mentioned are going to change my skinny water game in the Bahamas

post-51578-0-90268000-1457297155_thumb.png

I use alot of gamakatsu 604's. I don't like bending hooks if I can help it. I've always called these reverse bendbacks, since you're tying on an incline.

ODC, nice ties! What's the materials in that third (brown) one?

@FattyMatt I really like the mono legs/props. Usually for my crawfish flies, I just tie them with the material itself kicked up at an angle, allowing the hook shank to ride and settle level...I'll have to try this with some stiff mono though. I think the carp might appreciate it...

Just SF blend and .030 lead wire.

Just SF blend and .030 lead wire.

Good to know, thanks!

I have the technology....but the skills are fleshy and weak.

@FattyMatt I really like the mono legs/props. Usually for my crawfish flies, I just tie them with the material itself kicked up at an angle, allowing the hook shank to ride and settle level...I'll have to try this with some stiff mono though. I think the carp might appreciate it...

Thanks Cold. The space created by the prop allows the legs to move very naturally. I use a smaller prop on my crab flies to create the same effect. Otherwise, the weight of the fly pushes down on the legs and stops them from moving as well.

I've been making these little streamer flys kind of similar to a closer on the owner muto light circle hooks just doing a slight bend it's been working out great. They ride point up very easily I've been using the small ball chain for a light as eyes.