Fly Tying

Doc halls tailing shrimp was designed specifically to fish the flats for bonefish by Daniel "doc" Hall. He is a legendary bone fisherman that created many amazing flies that do a good job in tricking those tough and skittish bonefish.

Hook: Gamakatsu SL45 Bonefish Hook size 8-2 (I am using size 6) You can also use any bonefish type hook.
Thread: Danville 210 flat waxed color pink (pink, orange, salmon, brown and tan can all work) Also, you can use any thread size you feel comfortable with, I just like the ease of building a head with the flat waxed.
Body: Super fiber color tan (tan, light brown, pink, orange, and white all work) You can also use buck tail.
Flash: Krystal Flash color Gold (but you can use any color you want, get creative)
Back: Grizzly saddle hackle, Use the cheaper stuff, no need for dry fly hackle. Just whatever you use for your wooly buggers or streamers. Make sure its thin on the tips though.
Epoxy: Solarez "Thin Hard" UV curing epoxy.
Music: (jazzcomedy & jazzyfrenchy) - Bensound.com

I worked hard at making this video the way everyone suggests. Its got a dark and plain background that is dim lit, and the fly is heavily lit. I put a piece of paper under the fly to reflect back up. I tried to use higher quality materials (went and spent some money at the local fly shop for some decent hackle).

After saying all that, you might be apprehensive in telling me something you don't like about it, but please do. Please tell me what more I can do to make it better? I am really trying to make these good, and keep people watching.

Also, if you have any suggestions for flies, let me know. I tie 100's of different flies regularly. So your suggestion might be one I already tie. If not, I will do my best to learn the fly, then tie it on the video.

This is a great video. I am impressed at how far your videos have come in such a short time, keep it up!

This fly reminds me a bit of Chico Fernandez's snapping shrimp, another popular bonefish fly. I find that a lot of bonefish flies work great on reds, trout and anything else around the oyster bars and flats

post-18514-0-55652400-1456103976_thumb.jpg

This is a great video. I am impressed at how far your videos have come in such a short time, keep it up!

This fly reminds me a bit of Chico Fernandez's snapping shrimp, another popular bonefish fly. I find that a lot of bonefish flies work great on reds, trout and anything else around the oyster bars and flats

attachicon.gifthumbm_img4cdb806a8c452.jpg

Yeah, looks similar. The snapping shrimp there is to the tailing shrimp like a gotcha is to a crazy charlie. Its basically the same thing just with a bit of a "tail" off the back of the bend of the hook. I like that one, looks good.

So, what would you change on my video? Anything? I know personally I need one more desk lamp to give light on the other side of the fly. That way my hand doesn't darken up the eye of the fly when I am holding materials in. There has to be more I can improve on?

Do you think its pointless to do video's on flies like a closer minnow, or a wooly bugger, that everyone knows how to tie? Or do you think it still has its place? I guess some people new into tying might find them useful? I made a few video's of those easy flies early on. They were terribly filmed and made, and I got very little views on them. Maybe a better version would do better? In this new format? Or should I just stick to these not as popular flies?

Your right, the bonefish flies do great for reds and seatrout when fishing close to the flats. Bonefish flies are basically flats flies... Any fish cruising the flats will eat what the bonefish eat (shrimp). However when fishing deeper waters for Specs or reds, I generally like going with a more realistic and larger shrimp pattern, or even a mullet pattern. That is what I use when fishing the area I fish. I find that these flats flies just really do well when on the bottom, dancing around. You need more of a streamer shrimp in deeper water, at least in my experience.

In corpus, I will hit up the canals for reds and specs right at dusk. When the houses turn on their lights, the fish come in to feed. I will kayak along and cast to each light with one of my larger shrimp patterns. I get bit almost every cast, its amazing! But you only have an hour or so window. After about 1 hour after the sun sets, the fish leave.

I don't know that I would change anything on this one. The only thing I would consider, if you are able, is to add a shot of the fly in the water at the end so we can see what it looks like in use. Not many people do this, which is understandable since it is not always practical, but I love it when people do it.It's one way to get your videos to stand out from others. For example, check out this video of Lefty's deceiver and you see why this fly is so great and popular:

I agree about the use of streamer type flies in deep water. I find the bonefish style works best around the edges of oyster bars or shallow flats at low tide. In deeper water i like flies that move rather than dance on the bottom.

I don't know that I would change anything on this one. The only thing I would consider, if you are able, is to add a shot of the fly in the water at the end so we can see what it looks like in use. Not many people do this, which is understandable since it is not always practical, but I love it when people do it.It's one way to get your videos to stand out from others. For example, check out this video of Lefty's deceiver and you see why this fly is so great and popular:

I agree about the use of streamer type flies in deep water. I find the bonefish style works best around the edges of oyster bars or shallow flats at low tide. In deeper water i like flies that move rather than dance on the bottom.

You know, I actually wanted to do this, but like you said it's kinda impractical. I have a go pro, so I can do underwater filming, however I don't have anywhere I can film this underwater. We don't have a bathtub at our house, or any sinks that are deep enough. I wish I had a fish tank... Lol

I agree 100%, add a shot of the fly under water. It will do a couple things.. First, it will prove you're good. Bonefish flies are very very sensitive to 25. Proportions; if your fly isn't symmetric it won't rife hpu or it will flip a lot. Show it rides right and people will be more likely to buy your flies.

You can get a 10 gallon glass tank and a cheap powerhead for flow for $25. I would watch every video if i knew there was a demonstration at the end

I agree 100%, add a shot of the fly under water. It will do a couple things.. First, it will prove you're good. Bonefish flies are very very sensitive to 25. Proportions; if your fly isn't symmetric it won't rife hpu or it will flip a lot. Show it rides right and people will be more likely to buy your flies.

You can get a 10 gallon glass tank and a cheap powerhead for flow for $25. I would watch every video if i knew there was a demonstration at the end

There are lots of tying channels on YouTube, many that people trust as good fly tires. None regularly make shots of their flies underwater and only a few videos I've seen ever have. Just saying... I'm not sure why it's now required for me to do this in order for you to think I'm good at tying. As I've said many times before, If it was practical for me to do this, I would. Anything to make me stand out. But unfortunately it is not. At least at the moment.