Fly Tying

I'm would like to start using UV resin but was wondering what would be the best one to start with. I was thinking of buying a Solarez UV resin kit off of amazon. It comes with the light and 3 types of resin which is thick, thin and flex. Would like to know what everyone likes to use or may suggest for someone just starting out with UV resin.

Silvercreek, a member on here, sells some of the best stuff I have found. Loon's is pretty good too and fairly cheap. Unfortunately I haven't tried Solarez yet so can't comment on it. There was a thread here a while back where some guys did a study comparing many of them.

there was a recent thread on this forum in which a number of varieties were comparison tested and conclusions posted. I suggest you look it up before we start repeating everything.

Read the shootout results and cheech's comments.

I started with expensive stuff, but that shootout made me realize the whole UV subject (like a lot of things) is way over-thought and over-analyzed.

The wing case on this fly was protected, and magnified, with Loon Wader Repair.

24569834463_2c87db31df.jpg

I started with expensive stuff, but that shootout made me realize the whole UV subject (like a lot of things) is way over-thought and over-analyzed.

Bingo bango. Everything in fly fishing and fly ting is over-thought and over-analyzed. Get any of them. They all work just fine.

Bingo bango. Everything in fly fishing and fly ting is over-thought and over-analyzed. Get any of them. They all work just fine.

Yep. They are all pretty good.

All are equal, but some are more equal than others.

George Orwell

:-)

They are not all equal. Some are over-priced, and others are OBSCENELY over-priced. Solarez is one of the cheap ones but only if you get the stuff designed for surf board repair, not fly tying. My favorite is Loon because their line is readily available and not too pricey in the greater scheme of things.

That being said, I still prefer epoxy whenever I have the time.

I was given a gift certificate from one of my sons for Christmas. I bought a Clear Cure light and thin and thick Clear Cure in the syringe. I did not read the report. I like the light. The thick tends to stay tacky unless I give it a lot of time.