Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trevinski

Show off your Cape/saddles.

Wish I had that kinda cash for a neck right now. That thing looks smoking. Looks like they have a eurohackle Cree saddle there too for the same price. Tempting but I'd be buried in my backyard if I went for it lol!

Geat comment trevinski! Don't get buried in the backyard. My wife just threatens to put all my feathers in the front yard, turn on the sprinklers and then run them over with the lawnmower. I'll be good, no need for her to start that mower----

Bob

Lol!! Yea that would be sad to see them go to the lawn mower. My wife works at a salon so she threatens to take them to the salon to put in teenage girls hair all the time. When the fad was hot and heavy I was contemplating putting locks on my hackle boxes Lol

At it's peak some of the nicer longer saddles were going for almost a $1000. Not positive but I'm pretty sure Steven Tyler was the one who started that craze.

I have worked mine over pretty well but the black and white on the lower right was bought before the craze for around $28 and was full, long and gorgeous. I sold most of the super long feathers to a local salon and made three or four times what I paid and still have a lot left now after tying quite a few large salt water flies from it. One of the best I've ever bought.

post-44758-0-14418600-1456600616_thumb.jpg

I haven't brought a neck or a saddle in years. The last couple I did pick up were Collins including a Cree like the one already posted. I don't tie as many trout flies as I used to, mostly because the hatches around here aren't that abundant, so I manly tie caddis and midge patters. The only hackle I use is for poppers and some large streamers and what's left on some of the necks and capes I have work quite well for that.

Yeah, Steven always has been ugly. But he sure produced a beautiful daughter. I forgive him the use of some feathers for giving us Liv.

P2290003_zps2cr6gsjf.jpg

P2290004_zpsf4xs6el1.jpg

Some of my dry fly hackle. I have hackle from Whiting, Metz, Collins, Ewing, CQH, and a few capes from no-name's that I came across over the years. A few of the Metz neck's are over 25yrs old. The quality of hackle from a current genetically raised bird compared to the top end stuff from years ago is amazing.

Good luck, Tony

P2290009_zpsmneaecp5.jpg

P2290008_zpsfxkzozpf.jpg

Bronze and Silver grade cree capes and a silver grade cree saddle. Over the years I have bought 3 Whiting cree necks, 1 Metz cree neck, and 2 Whiting cree saddle's; and never paid over the standard retail price for any of them.

Good luck, Tony

P2290011_zps1uc0aaag.jpg

P2290012_zpsvcgtt32l.jpg

P2290013_zpskxfyzymj.jpg

Whiting Ultra Platinum grade grizzly cape. I bought this cape over 12 years ago and have never removed a feather. To this day I have never seen a cape with hackle as long as this one has. Some of the hackles are as long as you would find on a saddle.

Good luck, Tony

Well I need to go get a roll of paper towels to clean up my drool now lol. Holy dream collection right there. Beautiful Crees too wowza. I've never seen a altra platinum before. I've seen the platinum but the packaging wasn't near as "flashy" lol awesome cape. Sure those arn't cheap if there's even a way to get a hold f one these days lol.

P2290003_zps2cr6gsjf.jpg

P2290004_zpsf4xs6el1.jpg

Some of my dry fly hackle. I have hackle from Whiting, Metz, Collins, Ewing, CQH, and a few capes from no-name's that I came across over the years. A few of the Metz neck's are over 25yrs old. The quality of hackle from a current genetically raised bird compared to the top end stuff from years ago is amazing.

P2290009_zpsmneaecp5.jpg

P2290008_zpsfxkzozpf.jpg

Bronze and Silver grade cree capes and a silver grade cree saddle. Over the years I have bought 3 Whiting cree necks, 1 Metz cree neck, and 2 Whiting cree saddle's; and never paid over the standard retail price for any of them.

Good luck, Tony

:o how does one get so many...