Fly Tying
#1 Troutfisherman

Regal vises

They hold a hook better than any other vise I've ever used.

Tradeoffs are a bulkier vise head and more awkward rotation (whether the non-axis rotation of the Medallion or the "whole top unit" rotation of the Revolution).

They are well built with good materials and I like the squeeze and release feature of the jaws vs screws or cam lock. And they are built in my home state. But to me the rotation is awkward, and I do use rotation, so never bought a Regal. I could probably get along fine with the Revolution model but to me it's not so great as to pay the cost of admission. Just my take , many people own and love them.

Hi

I tie my flies on a Regal Medallion traditional vice and I love it, its heavy and stands still on the table and I can work fast whit it,open the jaws put in your hook and start to tie gunsmilie.gif

I had a Stonfo vice before but that was to lite and don't stand still on the table, like the Regal vice do.

I've had and used my Medallion pedestal one for just about 16 years now. I have the midge head on mine since I mainly tie flies for trout. I tie a lot of stuff for bass too, but I don't tie the mega sizes >1/0, so I never felt the need for the standard size head. The midge head will hold any hook just fine. You just set the larger hooks back a little deeper in the jaws. I originally had the metal base for mine, but it was a little too light for tying bass flies, so I bought the bronze base. That base works much better.

Regards,

Mark

My Regal was the older Medallion without any rotation. That was more than 25 years ago. It held hooks great, but I wan't too happy with it for small hooks. I never had any problems with it on hooks bigger than size 18. I traded it off to a friend, and still on occasion will use it. They are absolutely well made products, and should last a lifetime. In my opinion any vise costing as much as some hand guns, should outlast the tier. I would put the Regal in that category.

I have a Regal with the SS jaws and the bronze base, and I like it a lot. It is my primary vise. I have been very happy with it.

I've been using one for about 25 years I think. It's a Medallion with standard jaws. As others have said, easy to use & holds hooks very securely. I don't often tie below an 18, and more often size 8 is the smallest I usually tie on, so it does a great job there. My only dislike, I tie on large hooks often and doesn't hold some of them. The jaws won't open enough to fit the hooks. Mine does rotate, and for me it's fine as is. I use the feature primarily for checking out the fly from different angles instead of for adding materials.

If price was no issue, I would buy another Regal, perhaps the saltwater version. However, In the past few years I bought a knock-off & so far it does everything the Regal I have does plus will hold larger size hooks. It's not as well made as the Regal, but certainly has fulfilled my needs from it and at a much lower cost.

I have a number of vises (old and new) and it's my go-to vise. I like it better than my Dyna-King Pro...which is a heckofa vise. Check Hook & Hackle as they sometimes have unpublished sales on Regals. You have to add one to the cart to see if they are on sale. It won't state it on the vise page. That's how I got mine.

I really like my regal revo, but they made some recent changes to the big game jaw. The new one has a rounded profile and shallow grooves. Still a great vise, but if you want the big game jaws you should be aware of it.

post-57933-0-75920000-1456709136_thumb.jpg

I've got the Regal with the SS jaws, which are the smallest of the Regals. I'm impressed with it, very simple and holds a hook very well. It's not a true rotary, and I have a very great true rotary, but I still go to the Regal most of the time.

It's a neat and uncomplicated vise.

I had an old Thompson that I wanted to upgrade. I ordered a Dyna King Pro. Before it arrived, I scored on an old Regal Medallion a widower was selling on Criagslist for a price I could not refuse. I fell in love with it and the Dyna King currently goes unused. When I purchased the Regal it had one flaw, a small chip out of the tip of one jaw. I used it for several months and found out why. If you place the hook too close to the tip of the jaw, the spring exerts enough pressure on the hook that the jaw chips. I ordered a new jaw from Regal and now am sure to set the hook a bit farther back in the jaw. The stainless jaw may be stronger than the carbon steel jaw which I have. Another potential problem, again related to hook placement in the jaw, is that on a couple of occasions, I had a hook fly out of the jaw across the room on placement in the jaw, requiring a search of the carpet with a magnet. Still, I love this vise, but felt obliged to point out possible problems the new user may encounter with hook placement. BTW, I have the solid base.