Fly Tying
#1 Troutfisherman

Regal vises

I had mine spit a hook once and it was entirely my fault for not mounting the hook properly. It didn't chip the jaws. I've also heard the SS jaws lead to less chipping, but I don't know. The SS jaws are definitely smaller.

I love my Regal. I have one with the groove in the jaws. It will spit a hook if you put a big hook forward of the groove. I tie mostly warm water and salt size 14-2/0. Have had it for 20+ years with no issues. I like to use things that work so well that I don't have to think about them working.

Regal Vises are the best, clamp and go. The issue of spitting out hooks is totally operator error. I have tied hundreds of thousands of flies on a Regal vise and not once have I ever had a hook spit out of my Regal. Regal Vises last forever. I tied on a Dyna King for a short while and I would have to replace jaws about once a year because they where wearing out. I currently own the Stainless head and the midge head. They are just flat bomb proof.

carlp5351

I love my regal but the base was alittle light so I made a new base and it is not light anymore lol

I love that base on your Regal vice :)

I have been using Regal's since the mid 1980's and like them and will continue using them. With that said; I will say that personally I do not agree with their claim of "Improper Hook Placement" as the sole reason for spitting hooks and chipped jaws, and think that the way they use it to get out of warranty claims is dishonest. I was working in a sporting goods store in the mid 1980 that carried the Regal's, and it was not unusual to get a few a year back with chipped jaws. At that time Regal would honor their warranty and replace the jaws, after a few years of this they stopped honoring the warranty and started blaming the customer. Eventually that store stopped carry Regal because of this. The WWW is full of accounts where Regal's spit hook's and chipped jaws"s, yet it is rare the read about any other vise manufacturer having the same issue's. Is it only Regal owner's who can not properly mount a hook in a vise? Personally I feel that I am capable of properly mounting a hook in a vise, yet I have had two hooks get spit out. I also have had others start to slip but stopped adding tension to the the thread in time to keep the hook from being spit. In any of these situations I would have challenged anyone to show me how my hook was improperly placed and different then the thousands of times I had done it before and since. Obviously no one can seat a size 24 hook as deep in the jaws as a size 1/0 hook, yet Regal shows a very large hook on the page for proper and improper hook placement. Why dont they show a size 24 hook and/or give a exact dimension on how deep a hook has to be placed? After talking with a Rep at the Regal booth at the Somerset NJ Fly Fishing Show about seating small hooks in their vises I very easily concluded that they can not give a exact dimension on the difference between a hook that gets spit and one that doesnt because they dont know, all he was able to say was if it gets spit out that it was not seated deep enough. One thing I have observed with my Regal, and have heard others with the same account, is that the jaws will start to develop a lip on the outside when inserting a lot of hooks in the same area. The lip is very small but can be felt by running a finger nail over the spot. Obviously that metal has to come from somewhere and could be one of the causes of a hook being spit for no apparent reason. I have not heard any reports of hooks slipping, hooks being spit, and/or chipped jaws when using the newer style jaws made of stainless steel. Which verifies the fact that spitting hooks and chipped jaws are not 100% "Improper Hook Placement" on the user side, and more a manufacturer's issue due to design and/or materials.

Good luck, Tony