Fly Tying
Westbranch63

Best spinner wing material

I've been using poly yarn for years and I've grown tired of having the wings end up bent backwards.

Not crazy about hackle fibers either.

What are you folks using?

The best and cheapest material I have found for spinners is white twinkle organza fabric. You can buy a yard of it for several dollars. It also comes in various colors. It works because it sparkles simulating the sparkle of spinner wings.

silver.jpg

SparkleOrganzaBRN.JPG

Rather than organza fabric, you can also buy organza ribbon.

large.jpg

Do NOT take the fibers apart. Tie it in as a strip of fabric and then remove the cross threads after the wing is tied it. Some cross thread will remain at the base of the wing and this helps maintain spread of the fibers.

See the way Gary Borger ties it in this chocolate spinner pattern.

X-Wing-Spinner-2-3.jpg

X-Wing-Spinner-2-5.jpg

Full tying directions here:

Gary Borger Twinkle Wing Spinner

I've been real happy with Congo Hair, a polypropylene yarn. Floats well, retains it's shape and provides enough sparkle to make it visible in low-light conditions when I do a lot of my spinner fishing.

IMG_2045_zpsvmmdxp6g.jpg

Regards,

Scott

I use and recommend poly yarn for spinners. Antron works good and so does z-lon. I wouldn't worry too much about what they end up looking like. IMO, the trout don't care anywhere near as much as we do.

I really like the organza ribbon idea.

another way to use the organza fabric is to seperate 4 or 5 fibers about 5" or so and loop into figure 8 shape and tie in at the thorax position and then for larger bugs fill center with straight fibersof the organza or clear antron or white CDC. The organza and antron combination is by far the best.

When I tie spinners with poly yarn, I intentionally tie the wings in facing slightly forward. Then, after a few casts, the wings settle in more perpendicular to the hook shank. Two other ideas:

- Hal Jansen, a California Hall of Fame angler, suggests tying in the wings so the tips point slightly downward (below parallel to the hook shank). He likes his spinner wings to slightly support the body of the fly and this makes a slightly different impression on the water's surface.

- Nelson Ishiyama, the owner of Henry Fork Lodge, ties many of his spinners with one normal sized wing and one wing quite a bit smaller. He says that many spinners land on the water on their side and tying the spinner in this manner mimics this more closely.

I’ve been using Aero Wing in dun color and it looks great and floats better than anything I’ve ever utilized