Fly Tying
troutguy

Cherokee, NC Trophy Water

Got up to Cherokee, NC yesterday. The guy in River Edge Outfitters told us not to fish the trophy water "right now" . He said that if we came back in a few weeks it would be better. We fished behing the KOA and upstream. To be honest, the Wilson Creek area that I fished on Monday produced more trout. I don't think Wilson has been stocked yet for the NC people.

Had a great time though. Gorgeous sunny warm March day. Drove up with my friend, my wife and his wife. The ladies dropped us off and we fished and they shopped. They want to rent a cabin on the river in the fall. We spoke with a number of people who said fishing was low. Sammothner, it looks like you hit a great time. We saw signs that some areas of the fishing area were closing from 3/13 to 3/26.

We went to the trophy area to look. A couple of fishermen said that the elk were running the stream all day. The one guy from Arkansa said it best in a funny way, "The first time you see one of these majestic creatures come out and drink from the stream right where you were fishing you think, God has truly blessed me. Then fifteen or twenty of his buddies magically appear and cross the river just 10 yards below you; the wonder and beauty of such large magnificient beasts so close leave you awe struck. Then when an hour passes and you are on your three fishing spot and have seen forty or fifty more elk spoil your fishing, they aren't that special."

This guy had us rolling. Then we saw the elk...........

post-3361-0-46970500-1457545660_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-81413200-1457545635_thumb.jpg

Caught seven between 8 inches and 14 inches in about four hours of fishing.

post-3361-0-53879800-1457545926_thumb.jpg

There are no bad places to fish. Great spot if you have non fishers with you. They have things to do. The season at Cherokee is not quite in swing. The wives sadly reported that many stores were not open.

Bummer it didn't fish well. Don't give up on it though, it will get better considering the last time they put in some big boys was October! In the week after they go in the fishing is insane.

The DH creeks in NC have been fishing real well. A buddy and I had an awesome day last Sat. He each landed more than one fish north of 4lbs. along with those pigs we landed over 20 fish each.

I have fished in Cherokee one weekend and I was not thrilled. We caught some big fish but just not my cup of tea as they say.

I hear that ThreeJ's, I fished Cherokee 3 or 4 times - the last time will be my last time there.

The DH streams fished very well this week and I saw Quills coming off on the D on Thursday, Spring is sprung.

We have even seen some Hendricksons up near the border. Lots of Cornutas lately. Olive nymphs have been deadly fished on the bottom on fine tippets.