Fly Tying

This pattern is one I tie to mimic small fry. Occasionally fish will be feeding exclusively on these small fish. When they do that, you need to get a good fry imitation out there. I tied this to be very realistic and mimic the small fry perfectly. It can be tied in a number of colors, and is relatively simple to tie.

Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 size 1/0
Thread: Danville ultra fine monofiliment
Body wrap: Saltwater flashabou, and pink crystal chenille
Fiber: Ice Dubbing
Flash: Krystal Flash
Eyes: 3/32" silver eyes
Epoxy: Solarez "thin hard" and "bone dry" formula
Music: Sunny, funnysong - Bensound.com

What do you guys suggest for a longer fiber that is also very supple and transparent-ish like ice dub? I want to make a fly like this, but a little larger. Ice dub is great but short...

Hey, what brand mono thread do you use? I've been using Danville ultra fine, but I'm running out and need to re supply. Wondered whatcha guys thought of different brands.

Just a random reflection on salt water vs. trout water. We recently had a swap on another board for mini streamers for spring, All the flies were tied on size 10 or smaller and all the down to a 16. I read your thread about mimicking small fry and see thru minnows and my head does a double take when I see a 1/0 size hook. What you classify as a small hook and bait we'd only use to scare the small fish out of the pool to concentrate on the big boys left.

McFlyLures check out your local craft store's sewing section. I use a clear polyester thread that comes on 400 yd spool that fits on my bobbin. It runs around $2 or less. They usually carry clear mono in the same size spools at the around the same price.

vicrider, I just finished tying up some small bait fish patterns on size 8 and 10's. Intended for both fresh and salt water use.

This one is tied on a size 10 SC15. It's about an inch or so long.

post-309-0-57748100-1459371614_thumb.jpg

Maybe this weekend I'll get around to taking a picture or two of the rest of my school of minnows

Just a random reflection on salt water vs. trout water. We recently had a swap on another board for mini streamers for spring, All the flies were tied on size 10 or smaller and all the down to a 16. I read your thread about mimicking small fry and see thru minnows and my head does a double take when I see a 1/0 size hook. What you classify as a small hook and bait we'd only use to scare the small fish out of the pool to concentrate on the big boys left.

Yes exactly the difference between salt and trout. And I never said it was a small hook, I said a small "fly". Also this was not intended for trout, but do well in other fresh water... In fact, mine do really well for bass as well when tied with the correct colors. However, I wouldn't use this size hook for too many trout. It will work for trout, just use a smaller hook. This is about 2 inches long after being tied. I know your doing a double take when you see a 1/0 hook for such a small fly. However, most of the fish that I fish for need some pulling power. I am fishing this with a 6-8wt rod and some heavy tippet. I need to pull hard on the fish to land them, and a small 12 size hook will rip right out. Again, salt water vs fresh water... Big differences there. Well ok I take that back, like I said mine does well on bass as well with this size hook. So really in reality, its more like aggressive fish, or non aggressive. Bass spook less easily, most salt water fish spook less easily, at least the majority I fish this with. However trout are not gonna want a large chunk of metal coming off the bottom of the fly, even if its dressed up with some flashabou to give it a pearl look. For trout, I stick with a Wooly Bugger or bunny leech generally when using streamers. I tie those in size 6-12 generally. Never really went as small as a size 16 for streamers, but in my area, when fishing spooky trout you don't really use streamers (at least I don't)...

McFlyLures check out your local craft store's sewing section. I use a clear polyester thread that comes on 400 yd spool that fits on my bobbin. It runs around $2 or less. They usually carry clear mono in the same size spools at the around the same price.

vicrider, I just finished tying up some small bait fish patterns on size 8 and 10's. Intended for both fresh and salt water use.

This one is tied on a size 10 SC15. It's about an inch or so long.

attachicon.gifP2290284.JPG

Maybe this weekend I'll get around to taking a picture or two of the rest of my school of minnows

Fits on your bobbin? I got one of those once, but it ended up stretching out my bobbin to the point that I couldn't get it back. Do you have a larger bobbin? Or do you just have a specialty shop that carries the shorter sized spools?

Looks like a good fly! You epoxy a bit higher up, almost like a surf candy in a way? What type of fiber is that your using?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with hook sizes for extra pulling power .....if you have ever had a large..... say nine pound trout on a 5wt rod caught on a size 18 fly ...you have to use different tactics ....not skull drag the fish out of the water.

I have fished saltwater with not so small flies.... probably sizes #10 up to a size 1/0 but I give the fish a little quarter then take some back ....it's called sport fishing.

I would use my trout sized fry imitations for both salt and fresh because I tie them on a stainless hook.....and most fry are quite small in general.

Just my 2cents worth.

I use one of my regular tying bobbins, brand has been long forgotten. I thing I measured the spool and it's about 1 1/4 inches long. I actually had to tighten my bobbin because the spool was a bit loose.

I'm tying them like small surf candies. They're tied with Senyo Laser Dubbing.