Fly Tying
FattyMatt

lead wire help

If you have a golf store near you, try them. They have lead tape for ballancing the putters etc.

H

Best suggestion goes to Henrik. This fits the bill perfectly, so easy to cut to necessary shape. Thanks man

post-51578-0-18731400-1457909982_thumb.jpeg

Unless someone knows of a way to cast unweighted bugs with a spin rod

yeah, clear plastic casting bubble.

Here's why I suggested a "jig" but again you mush have already thought of this unless you plan on wrapping 3/4 of a spool of wire on a hook what do you think your going to accomplish?

The spools I have are 4oz spools of .35. At an average of 1/12oz jigs, I can make 48 jigs per spool by rolling in to dime-sized lead coins. Actually very economical way to make micro jigs

Here's why I suggested a "jig" but again you mush have already thought of this unless you plan on wrapping 3/4 of a spool of wire on a hook what do you think your going to accomplish?

The spools I have are 4oz spools of .35. At an average of 1/12oz jigs, I can make 48 jigs per spool by rolling in to dime-sized lead coins. Actually very economical way to make micro jigs

Yes that's a good way to make micro jigs, but your first post you said you were making heavy jigs, which Is why I answered the way I did.

I'm going with Joseph. I wouldn't have answered the way I did but some of your posts on different topics....well, weren't so cool. If its that difficult fish lead heads with live shrimp you should be able to catch a few.

Custom 1/12th Oz bonefish jig I just tied with arctic fox. Ain't finding that in the store

Actually, you can. A bit more weedless, too.

Yes that's a good way to make micro jigs, but your first post you said you were making heavy jigs, which Is why I answered the way I did.

Heavy is a relative term. Bonefishermen know a typical bonefish fly uses anywhere from 1/20th Oz lead eyes to 1/200 Oz plastic bead chain. So 1/12th Oz would be a heavy bonefish bug

Obviously, you are a bonefish god...please teach us poor fishers of sculpins and minnows.

Heavy is a relative term. Bonefishermen know a typical bonefish fly uses anywhere from 1/20th Oz lead eyes to 1/200 Oz plastic bead chain. So 1/12th Oz would be a heavy bonefish bug

Man you are all over the place! How far are you casting a 1/12 oz jig on a spinning rod that will actually handle a bone! The standard flats jig is 1/8 - 1/4.

Anyway your post said you had an emergency any needed jigs for a trip in two days, I think my advice of buying naked jig heads and tying them yourself was what most people would do. Ok well you got your lead so moving on, good luck

Man you are all over the place! How far are you casting a 1/12 oz jig on a spinning rod that will actually handle a bone! The standard flats jig is 1/8 - 1/4.

Anyway your post said you had an emergency any needed jigs for a trip in two days, I think my advice of buying naked jig heads and tying them yourself was what most people would do. Ok well you got your lead so moving on, good luck

They cast far enough...my wife caught a couple on small jigs like these in November. 15 lb super slick on a medium action 7'6" rod casts small jigs very well. When bones are exhibiting "traveling" behavior, you can cast 20 yards, leave the jig sitting there and when the school makes their turn you just twitch it a little. If they are mudding/feeding, these jigs will spook most bones. If this is the situation, I target bones, the wife will tie on a tube and target cuda.

I would personally would never prefer to fish for bones with a spin rod. But my wife gets frustrated with a fly rod and catering to her allows me to book a couple trips per year where we fish 90% of the time.

Casting a fly with a spinning rod can be done by attaching a piece of dowel a little way up the line.

You might want to remove the adhesive from your lead tape with solvent if the adhesive is thick. Some lead tape has adhesive almost as thick as the lead. This greatly reduces the weight for volume. You don't need the adhesive (lead wire is not adhesive). If your tape has the thin coating of adhesive then you might want to wrap it lead side to the hook, adhesive side out, as it is much easier to cover this way.

Cheers,

C.