Fly Tying

What are you folks using for disposing your tippet pieces streamside?

I tried the film canister with X-ed cap and about tore my fingertip to shreds.

Looking for something simple, cheap, and easy to empty.

I've always used a regular size envelope folded in half. Use your fingers to coil it up, and you can stick at least one section in each half of the envelope.

Regards,

Mark

Tend to stuff in pocket as I don't alter tippet too much at the water. Then on the fire at home.

stuff the offensive tippet in your waders or wader pocket, vest pocket, etc and dispose of it when you get back to your vehicle or home

If I am on the boat, it just goes on the floor and gets cleaned up when I am putting the boat back on the trailer.

If I am wading, it all goes in my left hip pocket (since I rarely use waders). If I AM in waders, it goes in the chest pocket on my waders (since I don't use that pocket for anything else).

Just stuff it in my pocket, no need to have a special container to stick a couple little pieces of old line into.

Ah, the ever-present SOLUTION IN SEARCH OF A PROBLEM in the world of fly fishing.

While I always try my best to keep and properly dispose of every bit of line and everything else which might become litter, I can't see how a special container is any better than a pocket?

Additionally, the amount of line (and everything else) present and unseen in our waterways is astonishing. In the years I've dived in lakes and rivers I was continuously amazed at the amount of broken off line I would see. It is EVERYWHERE. More recently, I've found two places in the Yellow Breeches creek which a person literally cannot wade without tangling feet in broken line. Both are below low-head dams and get pounded for a couple weeks after the opening of trout season by the once-a-year crowd. I know we all must do our part, but the few inches of tippet material which might not make it back home with me every year is inconsequential.

Oh yeah, and I'm just mad that I can't think up any of this sh** to sell to people who are happy to buy it.

Try the MonoMaster. I love mine.

H

Monomaster is a very useful thing to keep the streams clean, I use one myself.

There are a lot of gimmicks out there in the fly fishing world, but something like the monomaster is not one of them. It's an easy way to keep all those pieces of mono off the river banks and out of your pockets.

There was a similar thread a year or so ago. Somebody had posted better pictures. This is an example of why everyone should try to NOT add more to the mess already down there.

Ziploc bag kept in a pocket works great for me. If I'm discarding of a longer piece of tippet, I wrap it loosely in coils around the fingers of one hand, then slip the coiled-up piece off and tie and overhand knot in it. Makes it easier to pop into the ziploc without it coming unraveled and spilling out all over the place.

There are lots of neat little gizmos as you've seen above, but personally I'd rather spend the $20 on gas or beer. To each his own, though--as long as the mono doesn't end up on the ground, in the water or somewhere else it doesn't belong, that's all that's important.