Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

my carp box...

Hey Gang!

Here is a quick snapshot of my current carp assortment. Most of the flies you see are tied I have in atleast 3 other colors. Am I missing any "must have's"???

user posted image

QUOTE (hexfli @ Feb 15 2005, 08:32 PM)
Hey Gang!
Here is a quick snapshot of my current carp assortment. Most of the flies you see are tied I have in atleast 3 other colors. Am I missing any "must have's"???

user posted image

Clouser swimming nymph in size 8, 10 or 12.

San Juan worm, size 12. In pink or flesh color. Very important pattern when carp are tailing on shallow, muddy flats. Oligocheates and certain burrowing mayfly nymphs (depending on the water's oxygen content) are the primary inhabitants of that kind of water.

I'd also carry a small glo-bug egg pattern in yellow. For whatever reason, Ohio carp can't seem to let one go by (maybe they see enough corn from bait fishers that they've developed a taste for it - I don't know).

Joe C.

A "bread fly" maybe? For those surface feeding carp that are used to old ladies feeding them dry bread?

It might have a different name, but that`s what we call it here in Germany.

Killer, let me tell ya...

BREAD

BREAD 2

Some patterns I left out are my Hex's and Caddis pattterns that are in my steelhead boxes. I have a bunch of those clouser swimming nymphs tied already, but I need to get some of those san juan worms tied up. What colors?

Looks like a great selection! I'd add the Glo-bug Corn and the Bread fly and dare to call it a "complete" selection for Carpin'!

I wanna try targeting them at a local lake here. What would be some essntial flies i would need to get them, and what ones do they eat fast smile.gif thanks in advance

Clouser Swimming Nymph

Whit's Red Squirrel ( I like it with a bead head and rubber legs)

Small Craw patterns (Check out my McCabe's Craw)

hares ear

small clouser minnows

natural color crazy charlies

glo bugs in dull yellow/orange

lil buggers

tie patterns in rusty brown, olive, grey, tan, and black

that will give you a great start

here in s.e. pa. we use some mayfly duns and a damsel dry. we found the local carp were tail slapping the water and knocking down damsels with a spash of water. we would then trow a damsel pattern and the carp would turn on it...

Hex,

I'd add a marabou damsel nymph to the mix if they're a common forage in your area. Check the fly pattern database for Jimmy Aw's damsel nymph. Mine might be in there too, I can't remember. Also, check out Sheldon Seale's B-Cubed (Beadhead Braided Butt) Damsel on FlyAnglersOnline.

Jason

QUOTE (catchandrelease @ Feb 18 2005, 04:31 PM)
Hex,

I'd add a marabou damsel nymph to the mix if they're a common forage in your area.  Check the fly pattern database for Jimmy Aw's damsel nymph.  Mine might be in there too, I can't remember.  Also, check out Sheldon Seale's B-Cubed (Beadhead Braided Butt) Damsel on FlyAnglersOnline.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Ist of all, a very happy new year to you. I own it to your sharing when I developed the Damsel for carps. Am still grateful for your advice. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

You can see the pattern here.

MONO EYE THORAX DAMSEL/DRAGON FLY NYMPH. - (02 Patterns in article.)

During last Dec, I had a friend visiting Singapore, through him I have had the honour to know the "Ontario CarpFather" - Ian Colin James.

We can visit his website at :- Ian Colin James.

Do drop a peep into his webpage, there are a TON of tips & write ups about fly fishing for carps. I strongly recommend Ian's Pattern - The Muncher for carps too. tongue.gif

Just for Carps, Back in my local forum, I have even set the folks up for a good challenge to do the carps. It's a serious fly fishing challenge to ever get a stillwater carp to sniff at our flies.

Carp Flyer Challenge 2005.

All the best in your Carp pursues!

Ok, just uploaded my damsel to the pattern database.

For Sheldon's B-Cubed nymph, the link is:

B-Cubed Nymph

The apparent advantage (IMNSHO) of mine and Sheldon's damsel versus Jimmy's is the extended body. I haven't fished Jimmy's pattern though, so I can't say that it is better/worse/equivalent to the extended body ones. I know the tail section of the fly has great movement in the water, and the fish really, really move on it.

Jason

When I was little I would take pizza dough and put a hook through it and bake it in the oven. It worked great. They dont last long but its a ez way to carch carp. I have a pattern I'll try to find that works almost as well.