Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

my carp box...

Ok Hex

You gotta help me out. I fished a cove that is generally inhabited by bass, panfish, some muskie and pike that utilize the area for feeding and spawning purposes. I started out with a red and white clouser for pike and in one spot a few largemouth bass started toying with it. Not my target, but on the next cast a carp took it. Looking further up the shoreline I noticed several carp eeling just below the surface. A few casts into them, another swipe, but no takers. I switched to a tandem rig, with a large hex and a brown copper wet trailing 16" behind it. I think it got moved twice, but no definate take.

Are these fish "pairing" or just not feeding?

BTW, the water temp in the cove was in the mid-50's

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Carp on the spawn are tough...I know some people say that they cannot be caught at this point in time but the only fish I've ever had on where in amongst spawning carp but not actively spawning at that point in time...All I know is that the cast has to be right in front of their noses. I have not actually caught a carp I've had alot of broken tippets and bent or broken hooks....

That inital run is brutal you have to be ready for it....I will try and post up pictures of the fly that I use...

Check out www.carpanglersgroup.com for more info on carp fishing with flies. They have a section dedicated to this topic. Interesting site, they are as dedicated to carp as some of us are to trout, bass, etc.

I always thought that carp would eat berries, made from foam cork or deerhair. I think there are some patterns in a flymag I have, Ill dig them up.

Shoe,

Carp behavior can vary, but sounds like the fish were pre-spawn which is a tough situation for any carp angler, especially long rodders. It's rare to see the fish paired as it's usually 3 - 4 small males and a larger female. 'Surf city' it's not. biggrin.gif

As lewy mentioned, getting a pre-spawn carp to hit is not impossible, but it's purty close. You have to put the fly right on top of the fish, and then they still have to be "undistracted" enough to take an interest. Actively spawning carp are even tougher dry.gif

Daryn,

If there's berries available as forage, carp will definitely eat them. Mulberries being a particular favorite, as they tend to grow out over the water. I spin small mulberries out of a blend of green and white deer hair for unripe berries, and purples and reds for the ripe. Ripe ones tend to get picked off by birds before they can get to the carp, though.

The carp in my avatar was taken on a green deer hair mulberry slid in under an overhanging tree headbang.gif

Jason