Fly Tying
eide

April Flies From The Bench

dryfly.me_.2016.04.01.muddler-1024x768.j

A #4 Muddler Minnow, the macro shot reveals a lot: got to work on the head and wing, but it will fish!

A very fishable fly eide.

dryfly.me_.2016.04.01.muddler-1024x768.j

A #4 Muddler Minnow, the macro shot reveals a lot: got to work on the head and wing, but it will fish!

have a few early gapen muddlers,the head was just kind of clipped,not shaped.i heard this was so it pushed water,not the pretty fly we are used to seeing.yours looks great

Watched some FlyFishFood videos yesterday, still with bass flies on my mind, and got the brilliant idea to do a Complex Twist Bluegill. Tested it in the pool, and the action is very nice!

25608342813_7c4f88592c.jpg

25606246784_1c521a6549.jpg

Nice work!

Here is a Gapen Muddler. Don's signature is on the back. I'm thinking poor Don must of tied a gazillion of these. Now if Eide's fly is in one bin and this is in the next one then I'm picking Eide's every time. The head on Eide's fly, while the fish may not care, is about as good as it gets.

gapenmuddler1_zpsknlfcchx.jpg

have a few early gapen muddlers,the head was just kind of clipped,not shaped.i heard this was so it pushed water,not the pretty fly we are used to seeing.yours looks great

Thanks! Trying to get a clean head here, you don't really need it, but I do like them nice and trimmed like this.

Here is a Gapen Muddler. Don's signature is on the back. I'm thinking poor Don must of tied a gazillion of these. Now if Eide's fly is in one bin and this is in the next one then I'm picking Eide's every time. The head on Eide's fly, while the fish may not care, is about as good as it gets.

gapenmuddler1_zpsknlfcchx.jpg

I'm also spending way more time on the head than this ;)

Do you have instructions for the complex twist bluegill?

This pattern http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/10/complex-twist-bugger.html by the guys at FlyFishFood was the inspiration. This video will show the technique, but here's the materials I used.

Hook: Allen B200 #8

Thread: 140 denier (I used both Danville and UTC, either works)

Weight: .020 wire for weight

Tail: Wooly Bugger marabou white and olive. white goes on the bottom

Body: Complex twist of hot orange Krystal Hackle, White Schlappen feather and Olive Schlappen feather. Twist carefully and brush out.

Head: Olive and White Senyo Laser Dub

Eyes: I used 8mm, but 6mm works better.

Add blue and orange colors with Chartpack or Copic markers. Add the lines at the top with a black Sharpie.

I glue the eyes on with Tear Mender, then secure the head with CCG thin UV resin.

I tied an alternative body color using pearl UV polar chenille, orange schlappen and olive schlappen. I'll post a picture tonight because I think it looks a little more realistic.

Hope that helps!