Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 8wt 4pc Rainshadow

Rods%202016%20001_zpswbyqcjyv.jpg

Rods%202016%20002_zps6mvdko1q.jpg

Rods%202016%20003_zpsmflpmamk.jpg

Rods%202016%20004_zpsl7u4dqmh.jpg

Rods%202016%20005_zpsynrn6sp7.jpg

This one is just off the bench this morning and ready to make it's trek across the border to Canadia'eh! It's a 9ft 8wt 4pc Rainshadow with custom grip and matching butt, mortised wood seat with dble lock nuts, SF guides wrapped with royal blue main wraps and metallic ice blue trim wraps.

Nice work, that is one beautiful rod.

I have 9 1/2 8wt I built on a brown Rainshadow blank. Wish I could my wrap finish to look as good. Maybe its becasue I don't build that many rods.

Either way, that is one nice looking rod.

With a buffalo nickel butt?

Don't understand what yo are asking FlaFly? Are you asking if it's a real buffalo nickle? if so then nope, it's a repo of a buffalo nickle that I use on some rod butts.

Steeldrifter,

Thanks for the offer. It seems if I use a 2 part finish I have a tendency to get to heavy with it. If I use a 1 part finish such as Gudebrod it's thin at the wraps show through. I have considered using multiple coats of the one part finish.

But like I said, maybe I need more practice.

Are you thinning the finish before mixing by heating it some?.. 90% of the time I usually only need one coat with my 2 part finish, but what I do is I heat both bottles on a hot plate of water set at 120f for about 5 mins. The same thing can be accomplished by putting the bottles in the microwave for about 10-12 seconds (remove tops first). That will thin the finish down a bit so that it will be just about the perfect viscosity to have a nice level smooth coat in one application most times. I also apply my finish while the rod is turning on a rod dryer which I feel helps a lot as well.

Are you thinning the finish before mixing by heating it some?.. 90% of the time I usually only need one coat with my 2 part finish, but what I do is I heat both bottles on a hot plate of water set at 120f for about 5 mins. The same thing can be accomplished by putting the bottles in the microwave for about 10-12 (removes tops first). That will thin the finish down a bit so that it will be just about the perfect viscosity to have a nice level smooth coat in one application most times. I also apply my finish while the rod is turning on a rod dryer which I feel helps a lot as well.

Thanks, I will try the heating trick next time I have a rod to wrap.