Fly Tying
CGull

632 bucks

Ok guys, i know this is not a tying question, but this is the most friendly and active forum ive been in since DOS was king.

I got 632 bucks. I need a new trout setup. 9'. 4 weight. reel, backing and line.

Recommendations? I go shopping Sunday!!!!

You can spend all of that on a single rig (rod and reel) or you could buy a dozen sets. You're going to get many many many recommendations. First I suggest you tell us a bit more about your experience, will you be boating or wading, experienced caster? etc. If you're a beginner, I'd suggest you stay at the beginner level at first rather than buying a Lear jet.

One more thing... I know Steve wouldn't say anything directly himself, but the rest of us can... we have a member named steeldrifter who makes some of the most beautiful rods known to man! I suggest you look through the forum, especially the trading floor, to see some of his work. Then if you're interested, PM him and see what he can suggest. He'll steer you right, I guarantee.

I second the recommendation of going to Steeldrifter for the rod especially if you are going to spend that kind of money, why not get something that is exactly what you want. I got a 10 ft 8 weight from him recently and it came out perfect, exactly what I wanted in colors and finish of my choice with a real seat of my choice.

My fishing will be, rivers, creeks, streams, no much still. Species for this rod will be Trout.

My experience level is somewhere above begginning. I have fly fished before, alot in NH. My military career took me around the world so after NH i didnt do much. I dabbled some in SD.

My casting skill is, i can get it on the water at about 30-40 feet if i have a clear back cast. I roll cast ok. My skills are there, just very rusty, very very rusty.

Oh and yes all wading, maybe someday a kayak. Im not into boats.

Be tough to beat an Orvis Recon outfit for $425 in terms of value. However, if it's not the action and wt etc that you need it's worthless. An Orvis Clearwater is a decent starting point for less money with the same disclaimer.

And yes, Steve builds a really nice rod, a grade or two above production rods till you get way up in price point .

Getting away from kits like i mentioned above. Your situation almost begs for two rods, why spend the $632 on one ? A 9 ft rod in little streams is a bit much generally, the 9 ft rod is more river worthy and 7' or 7'6" more stream worthy. They could both be 4 wt. or you could do two different wts. Maybe one reel at first, just make sure that spare spools are available. Then you can have lines and spools accordingly. Something like an Okuma Sierra or SLV series reel would be nice and a wt forward line for rivers and double taper for streams or some such thing. Something to think about.

Hah, I didn't even think of trout fishing in Texas !

Go with Steve at Midwest Custom Flyrods. He does excellent work and his rods are one-of-a-kind, not like the ones off the shelf that all look alike. He also has a section of ready-built rods. For what you have to spend, you could get a decent rod outfitted and ready to fish. Remember- the fish don't ask what your rod cost. Wish I had a nickel for every fish I caught on my $10 Eagle Claw rod. I could have retired years ago.

Go to www.rodbuildingforum.com and look at steeldrifter's rods in the Rod Showcase.

Dave... you raise a good point about trout in Texas.... I grew up in Irving (Dallas County) until I escaped, and I never heard of a trout in Texas. Darn little water when it comes right down to it. Maybe up in the Okee/Arky Ozarks.

Texas, lol ya no trout here. That's been my drawback. No, I'm heading in two directions, Little MO in Arkansas and Beavers bend in Ok. Although I'm 2 and half years from retirenent, I'm heading straight Northwest and Northeast fish with you big boys, lol.

I already have one setup. It's an 8 N half 6wt with wf line I got at Bass Pro. I use it around here for bass N pan.

I'm not sure how big the Little MO is as far as rivers. It's probly more like, well, I don't know. It's flow come from a damped lake in Murfreesboro Ark.

Oris Recon 425? The setup I checked was 632.

Keep the 8 wt. ... if you get up where the steelheads and salmon are, you'll need it. I don't trout fish myself, so I can't say what's best for Ozark trout, but I'm pretty sure 8 is too much rod. These guys on here can tell you better than I.

One more thing... I know Steve wouldn't say anything directly himself, but the rest of us can... we have a member named steeldrifter who makes some of the most beautiful rods known to man! I suggest you look through the forum, especially the trading floor, to see some of his work. Then if you're interested, PM him and see what he can suggest. He'll steer you right, I guarantee.

^^^This^^^

I'm going to be doing a lightweight trout set up this year I'll probably build at least one of the rods myself for fun I will most likely do a 4 weight rod that around 8 ft or so and another 4 weight that's around 10 ft for lake fishing, you could do something similar you have the budget to pick up two very nice rods and if you go from steve you could get a matching pair and still have enough funds to pick out a nice reel line and probably a spare spool and another line. The reel doesn't have to be anything crazy especially if you're going to be mostly stream fishing trout with it.

Keep the 8 wt. ... if you get up where the steelheads and salmon are, you'll need it. I don't trout fish myself, so I can't say what's best for Ozark trout, but I'm pretty sure 8 is too much rod. These guys on here can tell you better than I.

FlaFly, I think he said 8-1/2 ft 6 wt or meant it anyway. Actually that can be a good trout and smallie rod around here, I used one for years in ponds for rainbows and smallmouth and sometimes I still use it trolling or just have it for backup.. It gets windy up this way, the 6wt pushes through the wind a bit better than a five in those conditions. These days I use all three though, 3/4wt, a 9 ft 5 wt I built last year and a couple of different 9ft 6 wt's. I use a 9' wt for bass fishing , that or a 9'6" 7/8 that really is a steelhead rod..

Texas, lol ya no trout here. That's been my drawback. No, I'm heading in two directions, Little MO in Arkansas and Beavers bend in Ok. Although I'm 2 and half years from retirenent, I'm heading straight Northwest and Northeast fish with you big boys, lol.

I already have one setup. It's an 8 N half 6wt with wf line I got at Bass Pro. I use it around here for bass N pan.

I'm not sure how big the Little MO is as far as rivers. It's probly more like, well, I don't know. It's flow come from a damped lake in Murfreesboro Ark.

Oris Recon 425? The setup I checked was 632.

Sorry about that, yeah the rod alone is $425 as it turns out. I miss read the add. That's ok it may not be the right rod for you anyway.

Sage VXP on closeout < $300. Allen Kraken reel $209 plus 10% off when you join email list. Money left over will cover line and backing and still leave enough for dinner.

Went by local Cabelas today and the offer was posted as $200 off remaining VXPs. Saw a 4 wt there so any Cabelas would honor online if you don't have one close and wanted to call main line.