Fly Tying

Annelids and Midge larve are probably the most important food source for trout. They are always in the water, and there are times of the year that the fish will feed exclusively on these. So you must make sure and always have a supply of midge and annelid larvae imitators on hand. I never fish a stream without flies like the san juan worm, zebra midge, and this little fly, the midge ribbed annelid.

The midge ribbed annelid is a very easy fly to tie and takes just a few minutes. You can crank out a dozen or more of these in an hour, and if you are really good, maybe even 20. They don't use a lot of materials, and are fairly inexpensive to tie up, depending on the quality of your hook. They are very effective as midge imitators when tied small like I am doing here on a size 20 hook. But the same concept can be applied with a nymph ribbing and a larger hook, say maybe 10-16 size.
Hook: Umpqua U203 size 18-24 (the Daichi 1270, or mustad C53S also work well)
Thread: Uni-thread 6/0 in red (any fine red thread will do, just make sure its strong enough to wrap tightly, and fine enough not to add bulk)
Ribbing: Red vinyl ribbing - midge size
Music: funnysong, ukulele - Bensound.com

I like to tie mine with a green or olive thread. I've found this gives a subtle green hint through the red and most blood worm I've seen in the wild have a degree of green about them. Often a line running through them or at the head.

I like to tie mine with a green or olive thread. I've found this gives a subtle green hint through the red and most blood worm I've seen in the wild have a degree of green about them. Often a line running through them or at the head.

Thats a great idea for tying something mimicking a blood worm. There are so many variations to tying this simple fly. I am trying to mimic a midge larvae with this one, so I am tying it all red with a small hook (20 is what I'm using, but 22 or even 24 would be even better I think). The midges by where Im fishing are tiny.

Thats a great idea for tying something mimicking a blood worm. There are so many variations to tying this simple fly. I am trying to mimic a midge larvae with this one, so I am tying it all red with a small hook (20 is what I'm using, but 22 or even 24 would be even better I think). The midges by where Im fishing are tiny.

Ok so I take it back, I re-read what you said, and when you say bloodworm you mean midge larvae. I apologize. When I think of a blood worm, I think of the large things I used to bottom fish with as a kid that would bite. They were 1-2 inches sometimes. Maybe the term bloodworm in certain areas means any red worm? Anyway, the places I fish, the midges don't seem to have any dark guts. However the large bloodworms I used to fish with as a child did. Or maybe my eyes just aren't good enough to see the dark guts in the tiny midges... HAHA