Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Super Simple Midge Larvae Trout Fly

Midge larve are probably the most important food source for trout. They are always in the water, and there are times of the year that the fish will feed exclusively on these. So you must make sure and always have a supply of midge larvae imitators on hand. I never fish a stream without flies like the san juan worm, zebra midge, and this little fly, the midge larvae.

The simple midge larvae is a very easy fly to tie and takes just a minute or two. You can crank out a few dozen of these in an hour. They only use 2 types of materials, and are fairly inexpensive to tie up, depending on the quality of your hook. You can tie these in any size you want, but I find that 14-26 is best
Hook: Umpqua U203 size 14-26 (the Daichi 1270, or mustad C53S also work well)
Thread: Uni-thread 6/0 in red (Or you can go thicker or thinner for a different profile)
Music: funnysong - Bensound.com

This fly catches anything from Spanish Mackerel to guppies

LMAO

Another simple tie is, using the same hooks and thread,

--tie in a short tail of red maribou fluff from the base of a red streamer hackle

--tightly dub the remainder around the red tying thread

-- sparsely wind to the hook eye.

Done. No coatings needed and the more ragged the more effective as fish tear it up.

I have taken some very picky trout including big Palominos which have seen every fly know to man with this one.

Rocco

Geeze!! I can't believe I actually watched that whole video. LOL... I kept waiting to see what the next material was going to be, then BOOM, it was over. I fell for that , hook line, and sinker..LOL..Was glad to see you trim that piece of thread sticking out towards the front of the fly, That fly was not going to work at all unless It was trimmed. Just saying. And I am adding that I am talking about the Thread Worm Fly that retrocarp posted as a JOKE, not the fly that Mcfly posted at the top of this post. There is a quote I try to live by. "What's the best fly to use? The simplest one to tie". Hey, they work!

Geeze!! I can't believe I actually watched that whole video. LOL... I kept waiting to see what the next material was going to be, then BOOM, it was over. I fell for that , hook line, and sinker..LOL..Was glad to see you trim that piece of thread sticking out towards the front of the fly, That fly was not going to work at all unless It was trimmed. Just saying.

Sorry you didnt like the fly... Honestly its a fly that works, and its really simple. I did state in the beginning that you only need thread and a hook... Sorry you waisted your time...

I made this video because I had someone asking me to make a fly that was easy to tie.. So here it is. It is a pretty common pattern. I know its easy, I know all of you seasoned tiers probably think its lame to make a video like this, but remember back to when you first started. Many of my viewers on my channel are newbie fly tiers. They want simple, and this is simple. Its for them, not seasoned tiers like you guys. I just throw all my fly video's on this forum, so sorry it was too simple for ya... I guess its pointless to make zebra midge videos, and wooly bugger video's also huh? Yet there are many of those out there as well...

Geeze!! I can't believe I actually watched that whole video. LOL... I kept waiting to see what the next material was going to be, then BOOM, it was over. I fell for that , hook line, and sinker..LOL..Was glad to see you trim that piece of thread sticking out towards the front of the fly, That fly was not going to work at all unless It was trimmed. Just saying.

I'm Glad someone gets it lolololo

Regardless of how good, bad, complex, simple, long, short your videos are, there will always be criticism when you post it on the interwebs. Some of the criticism is warranted, some is from people who are jealous. Best just to move onward and upward and keep tying.

Since I don't have sound on, I didn't hear if you were joking through the video, Retro. Actually, I figured your "thread midge" would work very well in most fresh water fishing scenarios.

It was Just a Joke .....It was initially a spoof video but has had more hits on youtube than I imagined lmao...More fool me ...

It could end up as one of those flies ...you know ...that actually have a purpose and catch fish .

Well, members are always talking about how some flies need to be sparse. Many of the critters fish eat are tiny. Tiny San Juan Worms (which is what your "thread midge" looks like to me) might be just the ticket!

I guess the next stage would be to just paint the hook lol

That'd be pretty damn sparse

Well I just went down to the San Juan River this past Saturday and caught 15+ trout in 3-4 hours on my fly that was too simple to work... In fact it was one of the best fish producers for me that day... Just saying.....

Cheech, I'm not worried, I'm just sassy... Someone says a non constructive negative comment and I let them know they are being rude... That's all. I'm always gonna keep tying. Never really offended. I just like people to know when they are being rude. I always like it when someone tells me if I am, cause I don't like being a jerk to people who don't deserve it. I always feel bad if I do.

Sorry you didnt like the fly... Honestly its a fly that works, and its really simple. I did state in the beginning that you only need thread and a hook... Sorry you waisted your time...

I made this video because I had someone asking me to make a fly that was easy to tie.. So here it is. It is a pretty common pattern. I know its easy, I know all of you seasoned tiers probably think its lame to make a video like this, but remember back to when you first started. Many of my viewers on my channel are newbie fly tiers. They want simple, and this is simple. Its for them, not seasoned tiers like you guys. I just throw all my fly video's on this forum, so sorry it was too simple for ya... I guess its pointless to make zebra midge videos, and wooly bugger video's also huh? Yet there are many of those out there as well...

Hey Bud I think he may have been talking about my Thread Worm Video ....which I put up as a joke .

There was nothing wrong with your video .... I tie those myself and catch fish in still waters ..so take a deep breath and chill bud ....you're not always the victim of other peoples jokes or one liners ....just saying we all need to lighten up a little as life is far too short.

Well, members are always talking about how some flies need to be sparse. Many of the critters fish eat are tiny. Tiny San Juan Worms (which is what your "thread midge" looks like to me) might be just the ticket!

Hey just for future reference Mike .....I don't play annoying music all the way through now lol....just an intro and end ...the rest is me speaking in my dulcet tones ...that may send one to sleep lol