Fly Tying
Joshpilon08

Hook organizer

On 5/31/2016 at 9:58 AM, M-Flora said:

Ive been using those stow and go organizers. The carousel design is pretty cool.

post-59211-0-62967500-1464711303_thumb.jpg

post-59211-0-60373500-1464711414_thumb.jpg

I use the same carousel you use! It works great!

I built a simple carousel  to hold my hook boxes, thread, bulk tools, and a fly drying, staging rack. work well for me, holds 9  craft boxes w/ 20  fixed compartments each. thread, tinsel, wire boxes are from wallmart  also keep bead heads in storage next to thread. cutting matt doubles as a UV cover. the drying rack is what I was used to hanging flies in stages of completion and or to dry after completion. Bulk hook storage is in large tub stored in closet. Sits on desk and spins to face as needed.

hook1.jpg

hook2.jpg

hook3.jpg

hook4.jpg

hook5.jpg

hook6.jpg

Man, these are all great ideas, makes me realize what a slacker I am when it comes to organizing my hooks, LOL.  

I'm ñot a hook junkie and I don't buy hooks just because somebody tied something on a hook I don't have. I'll just tie that something on a hook I do have. Seeing all the hooks others have caused me to count my hooks today and was shocked to learn  I had 41 different hooks. Maybe not a lot to some but it actually was quite shocking to me because my hook and bead storage area is very small. It's just an 11" by 3.5" box portion on my desk. My bead storage is 23 packs of beads, cones and lead eyes and again everything is stored in its original packaging. When the pack is empty I buy another. I prefer to store my stuff at the store. I included a picture in case there are other frugal non hoarding types wanting a super simple yet wildly efficient way that takes up little space with little to no cost. Hook and bead storage is so inconsequential to me that I've never really ever had to think how best to accomplish it. 

hookbox.jpg

22 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I'm ñot a hook junkie and I don't buy hooks just because somebody tied something on a hook I don't have. I'll just tie that something on a hook I do have. Seeing all the hooks others have caused me to count my hooks today and was shocked to learn  I had 41 different hooks. Maybe not a lot to some but it actually was quite shocking to me because my hook and bead storage area is very small. It's just an 11" by 3.5" box portion on my desk. My bead storage is 23 packs of beads, cones and lead eyes and again everything is stored in its original packaging. When the pack is empty I buy another. I prefer to store my stuff at the store. I included a picture in case there are other frugal non hoarding types wanting a super simple yet wildly efficient way that takes up little space with little to no cost. Hook and bead storage is so inconsequential to me that I've never really ever had to think how best to accomplish it. 

hookbox.jpg

Got me counting mine - 82!  But I like tying for swaps and donations so I try quite a few patterns for a little variety.

Kim

I have 12 different kinds of hooks.  Some of those were in discount bins and the like.  I've never used some of those.

I do like that carrousel box, CP.

I organize my hooks as cphubert with each compartment labeled. For those that I use for bait fishing, I thread them on a safety pin and keep them separate in a similar box.

@cphubert  Awesome carousel - I like how you put a cover over the thread side, one of the big reasons I stopped using an exposed thread organizing system was I noticed several colors had been faded compared to newer spools I had.  I really like the multi-use aspect of it with the hook & fly dry wire rack side as well.  Very cool stuff!

I get these small part boxes from the dollar store for a buck each and simply cut the label from the hook package to fit.   I also use one for beads.

DDD.jpg.76e3aa8b59738d114fa8929a5d1c768b.jpg

You folks have little kingdoms set up for your fly tying. So nice to look at. Great ideas to look forward to.

Gotta be honest... I have been trying NOT to like this system for a long time, but I have been accumulating a number of hooks that come in small baggies, and you can put a lot of them in a very small space... 18 so far.

B5159EC5-1E6B-4899-B427-F290A060B18B.thumb.jpeg.68ae61b657bfd8de95b43dd8b047e80c.jpeg

On 2/13/2021 at 8:16 AM, cphubert said:

I built a simple carousel  to hold my hook boxes, thread, bulk tools, and a fly drying, staging rack. work well for me, holds 9  craft boxes w/ 20  fixed compartments each. thread, tinsel, wire boxes are from wallmart  also keep bead heads in storage next to thread. cutting matt doubles as a UV cover. the drying rack is what I was used to hanging flies in stages of completion and or to dry after completion. Bulk hook storage is in large tub stored in closet. Sits on desk and spins to face as needed.

hook1.jpg

hook2.jpg

hook3.jpg

hook4.jpg

hook5.jpg

hook6.jpg

This is one of the coolest ideas that I have seen.  Kudos!

1 hour ago, DarrellP said:

This is one of the coolest ideas that I have seen.  Kudos!

Thanks it came out of a perceived necessity. I can move it and my portable bench into my travel trailer and keep the same continuity.