Fly Tying

Great video. I especially like the footage of it in the water and the midge cluster footage to really show how it works. Keep 'em coming

Hey thank you very much... Actually made a special 50 minute round-trip drive out to the San Juan river just for that footage of the midge clusters...

Showing the fly in water and the insects on the water is a great addition! Thanks for the extra effort.

Gremlins! Gremlins!

Am I mistaken, do you change thread wrap direction when tying your flies.

It looks to me as if you use a clockwise wrap of thread around the shank of the hook and then change it to an anti-clockwise wrap?

Or as I said am I mistaken?

Looking at the eye of the hook I use an anti-clockwise wrap which I think opens the thread and allows it to sit flat?

Most people seem to use a clockwise wrap, I

I.e. going away from them.

No, I didn't change the thread wrap direction... I have trouble tying counter clockwise... I might as well be tying with my left hand

The video shows hook sizes 16-26, but the voice-over says 14-22 are the common sizes. Would be less confusing if both agreed or the common sizes fell within the overall range.

I wish I could find some herl like that. Nice video!

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing... Haha. I will have to check that. Thanks for the heads up. I think I was probably reusing text from a previous fly in which it is tied small. It should be 14-22... At least that's the range I figure it should be. I'm sure there are people who tie them smaller and larger with good success though...

I fish a lot of G Gnats and I find that a hackle that is too long impedes hookups too much. You could have tied this same fly on a size 14 short shank hook and it would probably fish better due to extra hook gap. Also, as has been stated here already, you can get really good quality hackle for a great price. You can get a Whiting half cape for $26 to $35 that will tie flies down to about size 26. If a #18 G Gnat were my go to, I'd definitely buy a Whiting half saddle. Plenty of size 18's and you can get 3 flies out of one feather. They cost $35 and will tie hundreds upon hundreds of flies.

It's also okay to snip the offensively oversized flat across the underside.

Is mine "offensively" oversized? Lol.

Well it catches fish and it's tough to compete with success. That said, your fly appears to exhibit about 2-1/2 times the hook gap in hackle length. From the perspective of pattern profile and accuracy it looks like overkill. And then there is the mentioned hook up rate. But your fish don't lie and from what you say they seem to want it.

FWIW, I tie and fish these too and my hackle has never been as long as yours. Again, FWIW.

It's also okay to snip the offensively oversized flat across the underside.

Is mine "offensively" oversized? Lol.

You'll have to ask the trout.

Again, its the shortest fiber hackle I own. I have a large grizzly streamer saddle that I tie buggers and some other flies with, but I just can't spend over $100 on a cape, I don't have that kinda money. I know some people say that they can get some $20 capes that have the right size, but I paid $35 for the cape in the video at my local shop and its a bugger cape, not a dry fly cape. Its not cheap here where I am... They have a "dry fly" (down to only 18 size maybe) saddle for $142 at the only place near me. Its either that or really really really crappy stuff at sportsman's warehouse. Great place for other things, but hackle is not one of them. Its either decent quality but high prices, or low prices and terrible quality. Instead I have to either hope to get good stuff on line (hence where my streamer saddle came from) or shell out lots of money for something that most people say they pay $20 for.

That being said, the chance I took in tying this "offensively oversized" seemed to pay off because the trout in my area love them. I really honestly didnt think it was all that terribly off in length. Thank you guys for letting me know. I appreciate the constructive criticism, I really do. However I will say, I have gotten quite a bit of views in the last few days, and many people (not noticing the oversized hackle I guess) seem to love the video. In fact, its my most popular video in this short of time. Which is kinda weird because I have some really great video's on some streamers (more my forte) that didn't do as well. In fact I come from a saltwater and warm water fly tying background... I recently moved to northern NM where there is no ocean, and not too much bass fishing all year round. I took up the stream and trout thing, so I can fish more often. So I really didnt know I was that oversized for the hackle since I don't know too much about dry fly hackle. It floated high, caught more fish than the fly shop's versions and looked quite good (in my opinion). No one ever told me my hackle was too large. So again, I really do appreciate that you guys let me know. I will see what I can do about finding better hackle soon. But in the mean time, this hasn't really impeded my hookup ratio yet (every hit has had a solid hookup), and the trout seem to love it.

I'm with you in that I'm not going to spend $140+ for a gold midge saddle. I know there has been some negative press on this site but Feather Emporium is your friend. He sells 25 & 100 packs that are good quality. You specify what size you want and I haven't had any issue with the feathers not fitting my needs yet. There is also a bargain bin that I've had good luck with as well.

Something I have started to do, when buying saddle hackle mail order (which isn't ideal, but my only option), is to specify the range of barb length I want in mm. I do not ask for, say, 14 and 16 sized hackle, but rather 6 to 10 mm long barbs. I have learned the hard way that your idea of a size 16 hackle may not be mine. Nothing wrong with that, until you are judging what is suitable for me.

Cheers,

C.

I'm with you in that I'm not going to spend $140+ for a gold midge saddle. I know there has been some negative press on this site but Feather Emporium is your friend. He sells 25 & 100 packs that are good quality. You specify what size you want and I haven't had any issue with the feathers not fitting my needs yet. There is also a bargain bin that I've had good luck with as well.

feather emporium sells "cape tops" for $3 - $5.50 depending in size and these feathers tie from size 16 - 24

theres a lot of griffiths gnats in that grizzly posted below and at a great price

cate-tops.jpg

http://www.featheremporium.com/Fly-Tying-Feathers/dry-fly-hackle2.html

McFly, you're in the US, you can get a half cape or small neck from any number of suppliers for $25-$30 country wide. That's average pricing. flytires option about FE is even better LOL

It is indeed a great fly but I doubt trout only mistake it for a midge ball. You are missing a bet if you only use them in midge hatch.

Griz hackle and peacock hurl just make a hell of an edible looking attractant/combo. They've worked for me as a searching pattern and over active fish in almost every feeding mode except when they are selectively locked into a distinctive fly hatch of a different shape and size.

Rocco