Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishywood

Sea gull feathers....

Maybe but sea birds are off limits here so I never looked close enough at them to know any specifics.

Feeding them Alka-Seltzer tablets and watching them die from internal bleeding doesn't make the feathers yours.

Kidding ... I've found a few, and they are tough, heavy feathers (wings and tails). Like Turkey feathers, so legs, shell backs, wing cases in white or gray ... or dyed.

Just don't get caught, or the feather detectives will use your arms for alligator bait.

Many fly tiers collect road kill furs. Very few fur bearing critters on endangered lists ... and it's pretty obvious which one you're cutting a tail off of.

More likely to have a protected bird killed on the highway, since there are more protected birds than there are "un-protected" species. So, collecting feathers is risky.

you can pick up whatever you want just dont broadcast it. you never know what agency may be watching :)

God I hope our government has better things to do like fighting terrorism rather than going after and prosecuting those who pick up feathers to tie flies with, but for some reason I don't think so.

I certainly do get the protection of birds of prey and I also understand the importance of going after those who target the birds for sale of their feathers.

That said, having possession of a gull wing or in my area a single eagle feather there would be some amount of common sense applied and conclude there was no threat or harm done to those birds.

No, the Fish and Wildlife guys don't have anything better to do. National Park Rangers are without humor. Try getting off a National Park with a seashell. The PRs have so little to do, they are especially vigilant. Out of sight, out of mind...but why? Not a good choice, IMO...I thought seagull feathers were coarse and while you CAN probably make a wingcase, there are a lot better choices.

Possession of an eagle feather can get you in deep crap. It's illegal to possess one, regardless of whether it was a shed or a roadkill or whatever. Who needs that?

If they're just like turkey feathers, why not just get a white turkey?

Add an f to the end flytire's link and it works... interesting as I have a bald eagle nest about a mile away. Too bad I'm a pale face