Fly Tying
themattman

Two issues

The first issue that i am having is, i am having trouble with the roll cast. Every time i have tried, i get the line tangled at the tip. The other is, i have two different Orris encounter. I would like to know what kind of line would give me a better cast? I have only been fly fishing since around march. I see others making easy cast. Is it my lack of practice?

You hopefully are using a weight line that matches your rods weighting?

Roll casts are easier to do with a line one weight heavier.

Ideally you can watch someone and have someone watch you in the flesh but try the following.

Tie a 6foot length of mono to your fly line and start off pulling at least two rod lengths worth of fly line out of the tip ring.

Start with your rod tip pointing at the water close to the surface. Lift the rod slowly directly up so your hand stops by your cheek/ear.

You should see the fly line drop behind the rod making a shallow D shape with the rod as the straight of the D.

Then move your forearm forward, stopping the rod sharply before your arm is fully straight and you should see the line roll out in front.

Go to Youtube and look up roll casts for some solid starting tips. Casting clubs in your area can also help.

It is almost impossible to fix a problem that you can'r see happening but it sounds to me like you are trying to pick up a line lying in one direction and sharply change directions with the outgoing cast. Remember, the line pickup is going to load your rod optimally in one direction and you need to move that energy in a straight line to deliver a smooth cast any distance and hit your target. To reorient your line on the target use short roll casts to point it at your target, then elevate the rod to get a "D" loop by your shoulder with the line point on the surface but gradually moving to get free of the surface tension then make your forward cast and stop the rod as the line rolls out. The rod tip travel should be dead horizontal, not tipped forward or backward.

Rocco

My biggest problem with roll casting is dropping my rod too far on the forward cast. I have to watch myself ...

The roll cast requires a short, powerful snap forward.

First you need proper techniques. If you continue to practice with flawed techniques, you simply imprint those mistakes. If possible find some place to take a lesson in basic casting.

Part of it depends on the line. A WF won't roll cast worth a flip. Best is a DT or level. I don't think they even make a level line anymore. As mentioned, check out youtube videos. A DVD would be good. I have Joan Wulff's video and it is great! Anything by her or Lefy Kreh is good. You can watch the video, freeze it, rewind, etc. to get the full effect.

If you are practicing in your back yard, a roll cast won't work. It requires the drag of the water to load or flex the rod. As for line, one of the best for roll casting is Royal Wulff's Ambush fly line . It has a triangle taper, but any line will work with the right technic.

i had a problem like this for a bit. i found it was because my leader was to long.

The first issue that i am having is, i am having trouble with the roll cast. Every time i have tried, i get the line tangled at the tip. The other is, i have two different Orris encounter. I would like to know what kind of line would give me a better cast? I have only been fly fishing since around march. I see others making easy cast. Is it my lack of practice?

Sounds like it could be a tailing loop. You may be applying too much power right at the start of the roll cast.

Or the direction of the cast may be to the same side of your body that the D loop is on. For example, if the D loop is to your right and you cast to your right, the fly leg of loop can cross the rod leg of the loop, causing the loops to tangle with each other= tailing loop. The D loop must be on the left side of your body to cast to the right and vice versa.

See if the illustration is what happens.

in-efficient-loop-shape_-tailing-loop.pn

Im fairly new to fly fishing as well, however the all of the orvis videos with pete kutzer were a great resource for me. I cant post the links, but you can search them yourself. They look like the video posted above.

Thanks for all your help. Where i live so far i have only come across only one other fly fisherman. So we rely on Youtube and asking questions on forums. Skeet3t, What is DT or level? I do have WF on both of my poles. What would be better to have on them?

You will not find a level line anymore in most modern brands and the double tapers are rare on the shelves in shops although you can find them in catalogues fairly readily. The DT will help in roll casting but carries a lot of penalties in distance casting and drag at longer ranges.

But the WF lines work fine in close-in rollcasting and even in longer range roll casting once you master the timing in shooting line. That is how the spey casters who actually only adapted the basic roll cast for their use do their magic -- WF lines, technique, and timing.

Master the short roll cast and work out from there.

Watch Youtube segment.

Fly Casting, The ROLL CAST

Also, it sounds snobbish, and is, but fly "poles" is a term not much in vogue around the stream side. Unless of course you are telling your wife that "shucks Dear you just had to get that there ol' fly pole" in a desperate -- and likely vain -- hope that she will not ask "how much did this one cost?"

Rocco