Fly Tying
McFlyLures

CDC Dry Fly Midge - Tied on size 26 hook!

The CDC Dry Fly Midge is a perfect imitation for a midge hatch. These tiny flies are fairly easy to tie if you have good eyes, and do really well tandem behind a Griffith's gnat or larger dry fly. They are also really quick to tie, so you can make up dozens of them in an hour for your next trip. Don't be caught off guard by the next midge hatch! keep these in your box at all times!

Hook: Daiichi 1110 size 26 (any 1x length dry fly hook will work) regularly tied from size 20-32.
Thread: 8/0 thread in black, or any color you want to tie this in. Regularly tied in gray, brown, olive and cream.
Hackle: The top feathers of a dry fly cape. These are very small hackle feathers, specifically for small midge flies.
Wings: CDC Feathers. I used "natural dun" color, but common colors are white, brown, and gray.
Music: Sunny, ukulele - Bensound.com

Guess you got your cape tops in.

Yes I did, thank you again for the suggestion... I think that was you suggesting them right?

I had been wanting to tie this fly for quite some time because I use it so regularly on the san juan. You really cannot beat that deal! I think I could tie 100 of these little guys for $3.

That is one small fly!

Yes, unfortunately its kinda what you have to use over here. The trout primarily eat midges 80% of the year here (as with many places), and they have a lot of pressure from other fishermen. They won't take a fly if its 1-2 sizes off, and the midges here are pretty much size 26 or 28 hook....

What is the largest tippet that you should use with that 26 hook? Also, what knot do you use?

What is the largest tippet that you should use with that 26 hook? Also, what knot do you use?

I use 5x just fine... I don't know the name of the knot I use, but most knots will work.

I've seen where I had to go to 6x or even 7x in still water to get fish to take the fly.

I've seen where I had to go to 6x or even 7x in still water to get fish to take the fly.

Yes but they asked the largest tippit to use, I thought he wanted to know what could fit through the eye.

At one of the cycles in my fishing life I went through an ultralite spinning kick. During that time I fished areas where anything bigger than a 22 would be ignored. I would use either 2 or 4# test and ought or 1 Mepps or 1/64 or 1/32 Roostertails and catch fish, oftentimes regular enough to piss of the fly fishermen. My UL gear and thin line was not in any way upsetting the pool well proved by fish hitting it but if I'm fly fishing now and someone comes through spinning I just hope they have the polite mentality I did when I spun legally on trout waters.

At one of the cycles in my fishing life I went through an ultralite spinning kick. During that time I fished areas where anything bigger than a 22 would be ignored. I would use either 2 or 4# test and ought or 1 Mepps or 1/64 or 1/32 Roostertails and catch fish, oftentimes regular enough to piss of the fly fishermen. My UL gear and thin line was not in any way upsetting the pool well proved by fish hitting it but if I'm fly fishing now and someone comes through spinning I just hope they have the polite mentality I did when I spun legally on trout waters.

I do all types of fishing, I like fly fishing better but love to fish other ways as well. Nothing wrong with using other rigs, just be respectful to the fly fisherman and don't cast over them...

Yes but they asked the largest tippit to use, I thought he wanted to know what could fit through the eye.

I just figured words have meaning, the question included the words "should use", it didn't say, will fit, or to use, but it said should use "should use". Now given the criteria listed by the poster asking the question, some people would simply say you "should use" what ever size fits the hole, and others would say you "should use" the size that will perform best with the fly in a given situation. And others would answer in some other way and they did answer in some other way, no surprise there.. Since the poster didn't specify "should use" for any particular purpose, I inserted mine. You answered something all together different from me. So what ? Seems understandable to some degree.

Here is the quote I was replying to: " What is the largest tippet that you should use with that 26 hook" ?

I just figured words have meaning, the question included the words "should use", it didn't say, will fit, or to use, but it said should use "should use". Now given the criteria listed by the poster asking the question, some people would simply say you "should use" what ever size fits the hole, and others would say you "should use" the size that will perform best with the fly in a given situation. And others would answer in some other way and they did answer in some other way, no surprise there.. Since the poster didn't specify "should use" for any particular purpose, I inserted mine. You answered something all together different from me. So what ? Seems understandable to some degree.

Here is the quote I was replying to: " What is the largest tippet that you should use with that 26 hook" ?

Dave, I wasn't trying to argue..... I was simply saying "oops" as in I misunderstood the question. Like "AHHHHHH thats what he wanted answered". In no way did I mean that you answered incorrectly. In fact, you probably had the better answer. :) Sorry if it came out like that, that was not my intention.

As for me, yes I regularly use 5x for this fly with good success, but when the water gets super clear, and the sun is out shining, I will drop to 6x. I have never used 7x, but where I go, the fishing is pretty good. So there are always some takers at a higher tippet. Tying on 7x or 8x to me would be like trying to re-organize DNA strands. I cannot see it. lol