Fly Tying

The clouser minnow is one of the most widely used and effective streamer patterns for both salt and fresh water fly fishing. It has a really nice jigging action, and also sinks a bit to where the fish are. Its fairly easy to tie, and uses just a handful of materials. The bucktail moves really nicely in the water as well.

If you ever watch the professional bass fisherman on conventional gear, they will throw a color pattern called Sexy Shad quite regularly. This is probably one of the most common crank bait color, made popular by Kevin Van Dam. I decided to copy that color pattern to create a great Large Mouth Bass or small mouth bass fly for fishing the shad spawn.
Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 hook in size 2, but it can be tied on any strong long shanked hook.
Weight: lead dumbbell eye
Thread: Danville 210 flat waxed in blue (can use white as well for this pattern)
Body: White, yellow, and blue buck tail
Flash: Pearl flashabou (under the white bucktail) and gold crystal flash (under the yellow buck tail)
Epoxy: Solarez "Thin Hard" UV curing resin.
Music: funnysong, ukulele - Bensound.com

Kinda reminds me of the time Jeb Bush had given a rousing speech at a rally and forgot his mic was still on and as he walked off stage he said, "Oh please clap".

Yeah, I fish bass, but that's basically just another clouser and if the colors work better in your shad lakes great. My shad lake here prefers all white with a red throat.

ps...I come back to edit and say it's a nice video showing a good clouser tying method. Some, and I've never figured out why, like to put a crisscross basket weave behind the eyes and I've never known why that's done.

Nick

Kinda reminds me of the time Jeb Bush had given a rousing speech at a rally and forgot his mic was still on and as he walked off stage he said, "Oh please clap".

Yeah, I fish bass, but that's basically just another clouser and if the colors work better in your shad lakes great. My shad lake here prefers all white with a red throat.

ps...I come back to edit and say it's a nice video showing a good clouser tying method. Some, and I've never figured out why, like to put a crisscross basket weave behind the eyes and I've never known why that's done.

Nick

LOL, I am just trying to get discussion going. The more discussion, the more views I get. The more views I get, the better my channel does. Plus I always like to get feedback from people. I am not looking for someone to "clap" haha.

Yeah, generally the bass eat most any color. All white, chartreuse and white, red and white, most they eat. I just know that the pro bass fishermen use this color pattern a lot. So, thats why I tie it. Yes its just another clouser with a different color pattern.

Regarding the cris cross pattern behind the eyes, I don't understand why either. Maybe except to save thread? But I always do fine when just wrapping smoothly. Anyone here know why the criss cross is done?

the more views I get. The more views I get, the better my channel does.

REALLY !! lol

So you have an agenda ....okay enough said

the more views I get. The more views I get, the better my channel does.

REALLY !! lol

So you have an agenda ....okay enough said

Yeah I guess, my agenda is to make quality videos... And have more people watch. I wouldn't be making them if no one was gonna watch. Haha. That would be a little silly...

Question? Does watching it on this forum count as watching it on channel? If so I'll make sure I check them all out. I've watched a few but not all but always enjoy the tying vids. Now you can do one on soft hackle but not just a simple fly but show the tricks needed to do soft hackle with partridge, hen, starling, and any other sh feather you can think of.

Nice looking Clouser. I always completely wrap the belly buck tail when I tie them, not sure why the crisscross pattern. Like vicrider, I have most of my luck with combinations of white/pearl and white/silver. I have used that color combination on poppers, looks like it might be a good one to try with a Calcasieu Pig Boat.

Question? Does watching it on this forum count as watching it on channel? If so I'll make sure I check them all out. I've watched a few but not all but always enjoy the tying vids. Now you can do one on soft hackle but not just a simple fly but show the tricks needed to do soft hackle with partridge, hen, starling, and any other sh feather you can think of.

Yep, it does count for views on my channel. It's an "external" source view and I don't think it shows any advertising, so it's not like I make money from these views (I could be wrong) but it does make it more popular, and therefor better for the channel in the long run.

As for the soft hackle, I don't really use it much where I live, so I wouldn't be the best expert on the subject. I will try and find some good video from some other sources and PM you them in the next few days.

nice color pattern ill have to tie up a few and see how they perform up here in new york

giphy.gif

Glad your so impressed... Hahaha.

I don't know why Josh's post got in there... I didn't mean to quote that one in the last post... Just the "interesting man clap".

nice color pattern ill have to tie up a few and see how they perform up here in new york

Give it a whirl! Let me know how it turns out