Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Two hook questions for you

1.) An advertisment in a catalogue of mine states that the Dai-Riki #320 dry fly hook has

"a uniform gap for all sizes." What does this mean?

2.) Tiemco has a Parachute dry fly hook (TMC 921 - 1X fine wire, 2X short shank).

Is there any other hook manufacturer with a reasonable equivalent?

Been tying up some 'chutes as of late and I surely do like them, but I think a shorter

shank hook would be grand.

Thanks

(1) I take "uniform gap" to mean the shank:gap ratio remains constant throughout the size range offered. There has been some noticeable variation of proportions with some hook models (various mfrs) as you move down the size range. Mustad focused on maintaining consistent proportions with the Signature series.

(2) What hook make/models have you been using for your parachutes?

Saber 7010, & Mustad 94840 & 94833.

They're okay, but just.

I've moved the wing post rearwards a tad to compensate.

Saber 7010, & Mustad 94840 & 94833.

They're okay, but just.

I've moved the wing post rearwards a tad to compensate.

Are your Mustads from the "classic" series? If so, you might take a look at the Mustad Signature replacements, R50 & R30. Both are a bit shorter in the shank than the classic versions, as well as a bit shorter than other common standard dry hooks. Plus, an R50 #18 really is proportionally the same as the R50 #12, a noticeable difference than my experience with the classic 94840.

I can't be certain since I didn't put any notes on this image, but I beleive this is an R50 #12 flanked on the left by a TMC100 #14 and on the right by a TMC100 #12.

If you want to tie some small parachutes that have been working very good for a couple of friends who actually get to fish them, particularly on tailwaters, they are tying them on light wire caddis style hooks. Bit of shuck, some thread or dubbing, para wing and hackle. This is similar to using Klinkhammer hooks but the Klinks get very soft and weak at anything below true size 18.