Fly Tying
Trampus

Eastern Sierra 20 Lakes Basin

I'm planning a trip to 20 Lakes Basin near Saddlebag Lake the end of September and was wondering if any of you had some first hand knowledge about the fishing there..specifically for Golden trout. I understand some of the lakes are mostly brookies and some have Goldens as well as some of the streams. I am thinking about hiking to Odell Lake first but am open to suggestions....

That area has always piqued my interest but i've usually focused on tuolumne meadows, or head to the east side. in the years of reading forums, i've never run across any mention of goldens in those lakes. There might be golden hybrids. It's not the native waters for goldens but they may have cross-bred a bit over the years from official or non-official stocking. i'm interested in any info this thread provides!

eric

fresno, ca.

My son and I backpacked into that area last July. Absolutely beautiful. The ease of access, available water taxi, and relatively moderate trail made the area a bit crowded for my taste. Maybe I'll attempt another trip later in the year when the Saddlebag Resort and water taxi have shut down for the season. We did not fish Odell Lake. We fished most of the lakes on the western side of the loop catching primarily brook trout and a couple rainbows. We did find golden trout at the highest lakes/ stream in the south west corner of the area, in the no camping zone. The trail was steep and loose, leveling out at a large cirque where the lakes are connected by a small stream. Worth the climb to fish in such an awe inspiring location, even better if you happen to catch a golden. I would advise hiking up early in the morning. The wind made keeping a fly in the water difficult. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

It's true enough that none of the Golden Trout in the Eastern Sierras are true genetic pure bred as the only remaining waters those exist in is Lava Creek in the Golden Trout Wilderness. However, the Goldens in the high lakes of the sierras are pure enough that to be considered a Golden Trout and not a hybrid per se. I will be up there after the tourist season when kids are back in school and the taxi is closed for the season so crowds won't be a problem. I'll post a report with pictures when I return and hopefully there will be some pics of Goldens in the mix. The nice thing about this area is it is one of the few places you have a chance at the Sierra Slam. Four species in one day....Golden, Rainbow, Brook and Brown although Brookies aren't really a trout, they are part of the slam,

Volcano Creek :) That should be a great trip. Looking forward to seeing the photos! With my new backpack, I may try for it this season too.

eric

fresno, ca.

I have fished everyone of those lakes but it's been 30 years(I grew up nearby) The McCabe lakes were the best producers for me..on the way up the dirt road to Saddle back is Gardisky Lake..it's worth the stop by. So are Gaylor Lakes...they were 100 fish days for me with the middle being the best. Mine lakes are worth the hike also.

Brings back found memories....post some pics and best of luck

Here are a few photos from my trip last year.

A panoramic from the hike in.

post-50428-0-60938400-1466195616_thumb.jpg

One of the golden lakes

post-50428-0-03069300-1466195633_thumb.jpg

A brook trout caught on the trip.

post-50428-0-09959900-1466195650_thumb.jpg

Wow! Great pics David! I look forward to exploring the area and hopefully with some luck.... maybe... just maybe... get the Sierra Slam. I figure the Rainbows and brookies will be the easiest and the Goldens the hardest. I can get a brown pretty easy on the way out in Lee Vining creek. (famous last words wacko.png )

Of what some call the sierra "full house" as opposed to the "slam", I have yet to catch the golden and the cutthroat.  My brother told me he thought there were goldens and cutthroats in the 20 lakes basin, but not sure which lakes.  I've fished saddlebag a dozen times, maybe, but never venture beyond.  Your knowledge of the subject?  sincerely, Ken Mabon; [email protected]