Fly Tying
fishinorhuntin

Been on a few weeks and should have introduced myself

Hey all,

As my title states, I should have posted on here a couple of weeks ago. I have been prowling around on here for quite awhile until I became a member a couple of weeks ago. This is a wonderful site with alot of great information!

I started tying over 30 years ago when I lived in Colorado. Once I joined the Navy back in the mid 80's, I stopped due to military commitments. I was sent to Virginia while in the Navy and stayed here after I retired 9 years ago. I decided to get back into fly tying and fly fishing about a year ago. Needless to say there are alot of differences between fishing for trout in Colorado and big bass and saltwater on the east coast of Virginia. At least as far as the tackle weight, but I still use my 4 wt out here in the lakes, ponds and rivers. It sure is fun to catch a 5-6lb bass on a 4 wt flyrod!

It will take me a little while to get back to tying the quality I tied 30 years ago (not that it was all that good then, but caught fish), especially since I am 30 years older. My eyes are not the same, forget that, my entire body isn't the same! It sure does suck getting older. My son and I also hunt, so I will have to start keeping all the furs and feathers we get out in the field. Another excuse to use everything that we harvest!

Anyway, it is great to be on a site that provides SO MUCH information and what I can see, so far, everyone on here is willing to help and has been very friendly. On another note, my son (15 year old) wants to start fly tying and fishing, so I can't wait to get him envolved in this awsome sport!

Tight Lines, all!!

fishinorhuntin (Rob)

Welcome to the site Rob! I'm so glad that you joined a swap because that way you have a golden opportunity to prove yourself that your not just some other 1 and done kinda guy. Better yet, have your son join the forum! I'm 14 so maybe we might even become friends!

Thanks for the welcome FlatsRoamer. I mentioned it to him last night about joining the forum. He is a very active young man. Not only does he hunt and fish, he plays basketball and baseball, so he is pretty busy all the time!

Once I joined the Navy back in the mid 80's,

It sure does suck getting older.

fishinorhuntin (Rob)

Welcome to the site, fishin.

I was in a department of the Navy during the 80's and early 90's. Perhaps you've heard of it ... the Marines ... the men's department? wink.png

Yes, indeed ... getting older does suck. They say eyesight's the second thing to go. I can't remember what the first thing to go is ?? Hmmm ??

Thanks for the welcome Mike! Yea I have heard of the Marines, since for the good part of my career I was on ships who transported you guys where you needed to go!! LOL Actually, I probably had more Marine friends then Navy back then!

I hear you on the first thing to go!! I think that happened to me many years back!!

Remember, getting old beats the alternative. Welcome old guy. I'm a young 76 and still very active in things like ballroom dancing, tennis, etc. Yardwork makes me feel old, though. :-)

FlaFly,

Very good point! Alot of it for me, I guess, is trying to keep up with my 15 year old son! I still coach his JV team, but have had some big time back issues lately and just found out I have a torn back muscle. It is all happening since I turned 50 at the beginning of June.

Good on you! It is great to see a young guy like you still active in all of that. I just need to hit the gym and loose some weight. It would probably help me alot! I say that everytime I hit the baseball field with these teenagers!!

Welcome. I assume you are in the greater Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Va Beach area?

Thank you. You would be correct about the Hampton Roads area. Actually Suffolk, so we do alot of fishing in the lakes out here. We just started fishing the Nottaway and Blackwater Rivers. Good fishing out there. Still looking for the Smallies in there. I am taking some time off this next week, so I am on a mission to catch me a smallie out of there, I know they are there, people have caught them!

I lived in Hampton, Newport News, and Tabb from the mid 70's till the end of the 80's. My Father still lives in Newport News. Spent a lot of time chasing fish and crabbing while growing up there. Some good fishing, even better now from what I hear. You couldn't catch a rockfish(striper) with dynamite for a while. Never did catch one myself back then and now days when I visit it's tough since I don't really have the means when I'm there.

I kind of miss having military jets overhead 24/7. That area is unique, military touches everything to one extent or another. Funny thing is that we weren't military but I might as well have been, I had the pleasure of making all new friends every few years. LOL!

I have lived out here for about 20 years and like it. Yes, the fishing out here has got better over the years. I just started getting back into fly fishing. Our goal was to move back to Colorado once I retired since my wife is from there too, but that obviously never happened. Everytime we go to visit our families out there, I bring the 4 WT fly rod and have a ball with the trout, but we don't get out there very much anymore. I just have to live with the larger fish types out here. Haven't had a chance to go to the mountains here in Virginia, but that is on my bucket list one day.

We live far inland so don't get too many military jets over our house, but do have a lot of helo's overhead. I work on the base as a civilian, so don't get away from it. I am sure you have heard it many times though, "It is the sound of freedom"!

Well they do put marines on ships so the sailors can have someone to dance with. Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum...it's a great place to hang out and learn. There are some talented guys around here!