Fly Tying
caloosa bug

Non-typical materials

I have a patch of Mountain sheep hair that a friend gave me that is great for spinning and really floats great. It is a normal material similar to antelope hair but stark white and very difficult to come by. The top from a DiGiornio Pizza wrapping is heavier than freezer bag plastic and works nice for scud backs and thorax covers.

Thought of one other uncommon hair that I use a lot of, is the white throat patch from a Whitetail Buck. I have yet to see this hair in a fly shop anywhere. When the deer processer removes the head this hair goes with the head to the dump.

caloosabug.... just got back on and see your post about a page back on fake fingernails. Go to the database and look at the Nailhead Candy, tied by Dronlee. Basically he folds the fake nail lengthwise, and trims it to suit him, then glues it onto his streamer or whatever. You can paint them, add stick-on eyes, etc.

Just back from Walgreens. They have these squishy toys with 3-inch long tentacles.

post-52210-0-00533700-1470699299_thumb.png

Mikechell I was looking at the same thing at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago, but they weren't a dollar.

I guess after work tomorrow I'll check out our local dollar store and wallgreens. I've already raided the kid's toy boxes. Got some multi colored koosh balls.. the stretchy rubber stranded ones. They won't even know it's gone.

Justsomeguy, pretty cool your buddy sent you a picture..

I believe netabrookie sent out some pieces of seat belt fabric and lt is the best synthetic parachute post i have used to date.

I found these at a craft store clearance bin a while back. It came in a pack of about 6 of them. Don't know what it was intended for but I use it in all kinds of stuff. It looks awesome in tails on streamers and poppers. I've also wrapped bodies with it and worked great on some crappie jigs last winter.

post-59266-0-58825800-1470708955_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-41846000-1470708973_thumb.jpg

Justsomeguy, pretty cool your buddy sent you a picture..

Yeah, I definitely appreciated the proof. Gives me a reason actually tie more of them!

post-58843-0-48609800-1470900123_thumb.jpg

Soft, flexible, textured, crawdad color. What's not to like?

post-58843-0-31142600-1470900106_thumb.jpg

A friend gave me a bag of these finger cots as a joke (which I shouldn't have to explain).

I recently was turned on to squirmy worms after one of my friends slayed some stockers on a pink worm, and I wanted something in the box to be prepared for that. I bought some at a fly shop and tied some up, but I knew there had to be a cheaper alternative. So I found these at Walmart, and they should last me for all of eternity. They stretch nicely to wrap bodies as well and seem every bit as tough as squirmy wormy bodies, if not tougher.

post-61373-0-24340900-1523972626_thumb.jpg

post-61373-0-40626600-1523972632_thumb.jpg

post-61373-0-35942400-1523972641_thumb.jpg

post-61373-0-55750700-1523972648_thumb.jpg