Fly Tying
Jasperfish

Copic markers

Hi all,

I have decided to get into copic airbrushing and was wondering what color pens are used. I have checked out tons of videos and no one seems to say what color they are using, they just say red,green, blue but in my search at the stores it is far from that simple. they list the yellowish green, lipstick red and so on. I would love some help because at $8 a pop I really would rather not buy a color that I will not use.

Thanks Eric

I use the Spanish Olive toned down with a bit of warm gray #3.
I use the ink refills in an Iwata airbrush.

From a previous thread.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80225&hl=airbrush

I have had some experience with the Copic system and it worked just as poorly
as the Letraset, ChartPak and Prismacolor airbrush systems. Just not enough control with the nozzle.

Kimo

I was going to buy the Copic system a while back and Kimo talked me out of it and I'm glad he did.

I got what he suggested in the link to the thread posted below and I'm very pleased with. I think I have about $120 into the whole setup.

I use Golden Witch high flow acrylic paInts and acrylic inks .

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83190&hl=

I'm still getting use to the brush and getting a feel for it but my poppers are coming out way nicer than they ever have before. I'll take some pictures of my most recent ones and post them later today

Thanks for all the responses, I have already pulled the trigger on a compressor https://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-TC-20T-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-REGULATOR/dp/B0038D38AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468064414&sr=8-1&keywords=airbrush+depot+tc-20t and the copic airbrush. I really like the idea of the true airbrush and the copic refills. I am going to get a hand fill of markers and if it does not seem to work out I can always just get a Iwata airbrush and the refills. I just don't want to buy colors that will not get used.

Thanks for the input so far please keep it coming

Eric

My 2 cents

Compressor:

Noisy

Bulky,not very portable

Requires inline moister/water filter

Requires electricity

C02 Tank:

Cheap $40-$50 for 5 gallon tank

Quiet

No Electricity needed

No moister filter needed

Very portable

One fill up($8-$13) will probably last you years

Air compressor unless you spend $300+ will probably go tits up on you in a year or so.

Just saying

Really, guys?

Jasper says he got the Copic system and an air compressor.

For those of you who use "marker fed" airbrush systems, give the guy some recommendations for ink colors and quit putting down his decision.

Really, guys?

give the guy some recommendations for ink colors and quit putting down his decision.

OK here ya go get these and you are covered:

Black

Olive

White/Light Grey/Pearl

Yellow

Chartuese

One alternative to copic markers that get as close to the quality and consistency of real copic is Prismacolor. These are high-quality markers but at a price that most people can afford.

I don't have the space or inclination to start air brushing though I do use the Copic markers, Prismacolor  and another brand to color my poppers and other foam flies. As far as colors.  Prismacolor doesn't have a lot of fluorescent colors.  They do have a good selection.  For example, I have Chartreuse, Yellow Chartreuse  and Green Chartreuse.  Prismacolor markers-  The colors I use a lot are Yellow(various shades), Chartreuses, Olive(light and dark), Bronze, Orange, Green and Blue from light to dark, black, light purple and light pink.  I brought the Copic markers for the fluorescent colors,  The Yellow, Orange, and Green combination is great for a Fire Tiger pattern, and  Fluorescent Blue.  The Olive colors are good,  but they don't call them Olive,  Black and a nice selection of Red colors. 

Generally, I pattern my poppers and foam baitfish and slider patterns are the color of the lures in my dark side tackle box. 

Before you go to the trouble of painting your flies, I would test each color by coating them with whatever you are going to use as a protective coating. I suspect that the colors might bleed.

Philly, do you coat your patterns to protect them?

4 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Philly, do you coat your patterns to protect them?

I do Silver.   Depends on the type and size of the foam fly what type of UV resin I use.  For larger ones I've been using Solarez Thick Flex Resin.  I do it for a couple of reasons.  Mainly to seal the foam, add a bit of flash/sparkle to the pattern and to hold the eyes in place.  It does provide minimal protection against tooth critters.  The way I use the markers doesn't work on hard foam bodies, cork or wood.  For those to look really good you would need an air brush.   

Some samples.

PB300927.JPG.4719e87cbc4615690387c1aacf8f7ec1.JPG