Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Pics and Winners of "One FLy Tourney"

These pics are of the flies sent in for the One Fly Tourney. I will apologize particularly to Troutguy and Pshychoprince. I could not get my point and shoot to Macro down to the size of the small flies they sent. Sometimes I can get a decent shot but believe me, I tried and shot several ways trying to get the quality of fly they sent in to come through but no luck. All these pics are adequate at best and I had to clip, size and enhance to get them to fit as thumbs and save the Photobucket routine.

I will list the flies hopefully with the right owners underneath and I'll hold comments except for this being a high quality set of flies that came in that you would hard pressed to find as good in most fly shop bins. The exception might be mine but I'll tell why I picked it below. It would be nice to complete this little fun swap and trash talk with the tier coming in and telling us why he picked the fly he did and how he would fish it in different situations. We can all have a good learning experience, even MikeChell.

my fly DSC01526.JPG

Breambuster DSC01518 (2).JPG

Fishin' Bob Nelson DSC01536.JPG

Ihangten DSC01516 (2).JPG

pshycoprince DSC01542.JPG

Dubs DSC01521 (2).JPG

Jolly Red DSC01532 (2).JPG

Josephcsylvia DSC01523 (3).JPG

muskyhunter DSC01529 (2).JPG

Crackleback DSC01538.JPG

Troutguy DSC01546.JPG

PJ2 DSC01511 (2).JPG

stabbgnid DSC01527 (2).JPG

Well, the measuring is done, the tears and cheers are all over, and a dark horse I'd completely written off as strictly a bluegill fisherman comes out of nowhere to ambush us with 96" of 5 largest fish measured. That's a 19.2" average on a stream basically known for 12-14" fish. Congratulations Breambuster but as I'm writing this from home I did happen to do a little checking and see that your judge and measure board man happened to be your younger cousin from the fishing team on the school that provided most of our measuring judges. I'm sure this in no way effected the total you turned in but next year I think we'll draw for our board judges to travel with us.

Ihangten, FishinBob, and myself were within 4" of each other at weigh in with hangten at 91", FB at 88" and myself at 87".

Things fell off a bit from there with all but one measuring a 5 fish limit no one need hang their head as a great time was had by all. In fact, 5th place was a 3 way tie between Jolly Red, another 'gill fisherman doing good, Joseph, a salt water bum, and Crackleback, who really wanted to tie a deer hair mouse and go for the browns but decided against it. Considering that all fish were rounded down unless clearly hitting the next mark, a total for 5th was 84" would mean close to a 17" average fish.

Muskyhunter was surprising in the next spot with 79" even though he was the lone person not measuring in a limit. He made up for it with nice fish and the big fish of the outing at 24". That came at the very close of the tourney and knowing the hole he got it in it was only his experience with big fish on the long rod that did it for him since that hole had a tree that had several wisps of tippet hanging from it. Good job. His average size was even bigger than WINNER BB but he just couldn't tag that last legal fish to clinch it.

Troutguy, who had the smallest fly in the tourney, just couldn't get the sophisticated browns to munch he hoped for and Dubs had a fly I really though was going to do better but they tied at 78". PshychoPrince was right there at 77" but his bitty nymph would have definitely served him better in CO streams where tiny nymphs under bobbers seem the way to go.

Rules are rules and even the late arrivals with legitimate problems I had to take into consideration the 4th holiday and a returned envelope and still penalize PJ2 and Stabgnid 5" off their total. This disadvantage, plus a gimpy leg for Stabby and mind spinning thoughts of hackers troubling PJ2 I believe both their games were off and though they finished with 5 fish each their totals less penalty had them avoiding a lot of the trash talk at the table. With the rules of the tourney allowing measuring in 8" brookies but bows and browns had to be 12", they just had too many brookies in the mix.

So I consider this tourney a sucess, the flies masterfully created and well fished, and considering all of us beat the stream aveages I'm happy with the results of this tourney....errr....swap.

In the spirit of the write up on the flies I asked for mine is an attempt at the Gary LaFontaine Caddis Pupa. It will fish on or in the subsurface film with a little dressing and look like pupa struggling with it's tailing shuck. Trim that shuck, trim a lot of the deer hair and bend a few down on each side and you have a Caddis pupa on the bottom or drifting mid depth depending on weight. If size seems to be a problem just keep trimming away at the UV body on top and underneath is an Ice Dub UV tiny shell. Just trim all deer hair plus most of the top shell body and get smaller and brighter but keeping the strength of the hooking power of a #14.

Those flies, people, are some excellent examples of their kind. Each one (well, those we can see clearly) as a nicely tied fly. Well done, all.

Vicrider ..

Wonderful write up of the tournament. Fantastic reading ... but then again, it IS written by a fisherman !!!

Fished wet or dry, the lime trude has a proven history in one fly tournaments. It's characteristics have been merged with other flies to create variations with a legacy of catching big fish. A a dry attractor pattern , wet on the swing, or trim it down and add some weight to get into the water column, the Lime Trude has the versatility to get you into the fish in a variety of waters and circumstances.

Originally tied as a joke, the trude family of flies has demonstrated you'll laugh all the way to the net landing big trout.

Thanks for putting this together Vic.

Sorry troutguy. My camera's not up to really good small macro shots. I shot your fly about six times with different backgroungs, mounted and loose, different lighting but yours and pycho's were just too small for my camera to focus on. It's capable of shots that small at times but other times it just won't cooperate. I won't invest much into doing better shots but I am going to make a cheap booth and get a small tripod to stabilize the camera and adjust distance and then maybe I can do better. This is a shot of a #26 parachute and a #32 gnat that just happened to come out good enough to make me believe the camera is capable of better small pics if things go right.

f7d3e744-f075-46ca-8d4e-cce2b6c8205b_zps

Don't know how well this would do in a trout stream, but I know it will take gills all day long. I ;have heard trout fishers say that bluegill will bite on trout flies, and I think that also means that trout will bite on bluegill flies. Use some floatant on it of a morning, and fish it around overhanging trees and emerging weeds works quite well. Later in the day, some split shot on the leader will get it down to the deeper fish. At whatever depth it is fished, the fish that sees it will bite on it.

You're 100% right I'd want to throw big stuff for browns. Tying these Cracklebacks might have been the first time all year I took the big game jaws out of my vise. I decided on them because you can fish them so many different ways. Dead drift it dry. Next cast pull it under and drift it wet. Strip it in at the end of your drifts. Put on a poly leader and strip it in a little deeper. Put on a sinking line and strip it even deeper. You could bust out the bobbers and split shot and fish it as a nymph. A bead head version is actually fairly popular around here. Definitely gave me a chuckle the first time I saw a tungsten bead strapped to the front of a dry fly.

-Mike

Okay guys, the flies are sorted and ready for PO but thanx to GKs needing rides to animal show at library and swimming I missed the window. They'll head out tomorrow and I really think most general crick fishing is covered in this mix. Very nice set. I got a small tripod for pics and will try some of these again. Will update pics later if I have any success.

psycho guy and trout man, I think your pics are now a lot more legible than they were. Much beyond what I got is past the ability of my point and shoot macro but the tripod steadying things definitely made them more legible.

Anyone else going to defend their use of the fly they chose? Let us know how you'd use it so when we add it to our box we'll be a step ahead in the learning process.

wish i didnt et penalized, might have had a better showing... lol. great set of flys.

Well I tied an unweighted nymph with dry fly hackle for legs, so add floatant and it will float most anywhere. Skip the floatant it will sit right in or under the film (most productive on a slow swing imo). Trim some hackle to drop it a little deeper, add fly sink and/or split shot to get it right along bottom (also very effective). Imitates many mayfly types, could be mistaken for stonefly nymph.

Try it with floatant and a small sunk one a foot behind, dead drifted tight to an undercut bank