Fly Tying

I`m sure many of you cringed at the title of this post. And yet ANOTHER woolly bugger focused article.. and right after someone ranted about them being so intolerable. A bad time to have invested blogging efforts into that dang woolly bugger ;) I certainly didn`t re-invent the wheel here, but I did collect some ideas and concepts about the woolly bugger that can be translated to many other fly patterns. I post this here looking for criticism and feedback. I wanted to add some beginner content to my page, and still plan to add a few more of the `basic` patterns. If anyone has the time, I would appreciate a comment or two about my video. I am not looking to teach basic terms or material types, just offer tying tips that might make life easier for the person starting out. Did I get to technical? It's hard to tell without feedback. Otherwise, take a quick look as there are neat ideas and variations about the woolly bugger. I tried to make it interesting.

If you would like to contribute to the blog or tell the blog what you really thing, please add a comment on the post. Positive or negative, the banter is always fun.

https://tieflycast.wordpress.com/2016/07/29/the-woolly-bugger-keep-it-interesting/

I have a wooly bugger from Russel Blessing in a frame.This has to be one of the most versatile patterns on the planet.It has caught fish from cold to warm,salt to fresh!There are literally endless possibilities when it comes to them.As for some folks saying they hate them or refuse to use them;Bollocks!It may seem simple,but it encompasses a lot of techniques used in a lot of other flies;which is why it is such an amazing beginner pattern!Wrapping lead,measuring a soft tail,working with chenille (or dubbing or anything else!),tying in hackle,folding hackle,Palmering hackle,beads,cones,tYing in ribs and making nice neat heads!Usually when all else fails-I break out my buggers!

There are a few out there that really do hate the pattern... but I feel they are a must in the box. Sometimes as the backup and other times they are the go to. It's probably one of the first flies that I tied that looked "good"... if you can say that about the bugger.

Now for the 4/0 musky buggers.....

Thanks for taking a look.

Hahaha looks like it islander

I only skimmed over your article, but will read it. I always have some tied in various sizes & several colors & material variations. Probably have 30 or 40 in my fly boxes now. Don't always use them, but agree should be in the fly box regardless of species being targeted. They certainly work. smile.png

I also have several tied on 2/0 & 3/0 size hooks for when the bass don't want what I'm usually tossing at them. Have hooked a few Striped Bass on them as well. wink.png

I like the idea of using two differently colored marabou feathers for the tails, then winding the body with the rest of the feather. I never would have thought of that! And I wouldn't have learned about it if you hadn't posted that link. Thanx!

I like the idea of using two differently colored marabou feathers for the tails, then winding the body with the rest of the feather. I never would have thought of that! And I wouldn't have learned about it if you hadn't posted that link. Thanx!

Its the fastest way to get a bugger off the vice. Happy tying.

Regarding your "expedited" bugger variant, I will occasionally do them like that in smaller sizes, and one thing I will to to improve longevity is to coat the underbody in a nearby adhesive (something like liquid fusion that will remain pliable). Let it soak in and dry a little bit (to keep the marabou from wicking it up too much), then wrapping the body in it before it dries completely.

Not a perfect solution, and not nearly as durable as a chenille body (which I use 95% of the time), but if you're doing them this way, you've already tacitly accepted "quick n dirty" as adequate.