Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bud Guidry

burnishing floss or silk

i great tip on burnishing that silk or floss on hook bodies to get that glassy smooth finish. i tried all sorts of tools and instuments with some partial success and failures. the thing i found most usefull and works great are polished stones. you can get them most anywheres, i have a tumbler and polish my own. you have to make sure

there are no hairline cracks or marks on the stone. i go to camp and find stones that are the right shapes i'm looking for and make great burnishing tools with them, long thin flat stones are the best shaped. i've use this method on the best silks ( alec jackson and japanese )and flosses (lagartan and uni )and you can press as hard as you like and not break any filaments in the silk. matters not which direction you burnish, with or against the fibers. you can really get some smooth glassy looking finishes using this method, Bud

How about a step by step of this method, a picture speaks a thowsand words. I like the idea and can visulise it to a certian degree. but would love to see the actual method.

i don't have any pics daryn but it's simple, instead of rubbing or burnishing the floss or silk smooth ( after wrapping it around the hook ) with a metal tool as long as a pencil which is hard to control, you use the polished stone to rub the silk smooth. you hold it tightly between your fingers and it's easier to control, the stones i use are polished as smooth as glass so you can apply a great deal of pressure to the floss or silk and it won't fray it. i use stones about the size of a silver dollar, the white stones you find in the bottom of a creek work great once you have them polished, they are half way polished too from tunling in the bottom of the creek, they are not very thick in size so it's easy to run them between the point and shank of the hook to do the undersides, Bud

Sign in to follow this