Fly Tying
TedderX

Griffith's Gnat

Hundreds. Great pattern. Can imitate mating midges in smaller sizes, works great in a wave in bigger sizes. Works wet as well as dry.

Again hundreds. The first hatches and the last hatches of every year are small midges, and the Griffiths Gnat is a great fly any time there are emerging midges. I have had good days in February and December with them.

I don't see the Griffith ! As far as I know that Brown could have been taken on garden hackle !

I never photograph fish with the hook still in as I like to unhook and rest in the net in the water while I mess about with the camera.

Piker20 just pulling your leg. Beautiful fish. We are having a major drought here and the fish are definitely stressed. Sad to see.

We're the opposite (uk) plenty of water and not many days when the wind drops to get a line in this year. Fisherman are never happy eh.

Caught many a trout on it!When I was younger I couldn't afford to tie but a few patterns. This one was quickly mastered,in all aspects,and served me well in the Smokeys.

Again many hundreds and probably more. Yet I have never been able to get Charles Jardene's variation, the Sparkle Gnat, to produce a single fish. We all have some flies like this, that for some reason or another will not produce at all. I know someone who can't get a fish on the CdC and Elk, yet it is the most productive fly I have ever tied. The Griffith's Gnat is a great pattern, but if you find it doesn't produce well for you, don't worry about it. Just continue the search for something that does.

Cheers,

C.

I could go to our local ponds and fish with nothing but a size 20 Griffiths Gnat and 18 Chironamid emerger and catch trout till there are no more midges coming off. Or it ices over. I've also caught trout on the Gnat fished with full sink line, which is a rather untypical use. I have caught more with the emerger than the Gnat but the Gnat is the one to use if they are hitting dries on the surface. Never leave home without them , especially from Sept through Nov and late April through May around these parts.

Since the Griffith's Gnat is basically a miniature Wooly Worm ... and many many people swear by wooly worms and buggers ... I'd guess the gnat is a great fly.

I never fish flies that small ... but then, I don't go after trout, either.