Fly Tying
Mike West

Stacked Deer Hair Bass Swap..

So, what's everyone tying? Come on im curious lol

I'm going to tie 3 of this, 3 of that, 3 of those & 3 of the other ones.

Yeah I'm going to kick in and tie 12 even though we are only doing 6 each...just cause I'm such a nice guy.

Just ask my Honey.

;)

i'm hoping to tie something that resembles a hairbug. now if it ends up looking like a frog or anything else like that, then thats just icing on the cake!

Come on man...we had 8 on the other thread...where them two other slackers at?

smile.png

Where's "The Cream"....you can do this guy...it's only 6

I've tried to PM him before just to ask some simple questions and I get this:

"The member TheCream cannot receive any new messages"

He monitors this board and has seen the thread am sure..especially when the topic is hair bugs...if he wants to join in he will.

I hope so too.

I'd still fish one of his masterpieces..I use to get upset when folks would buy my flies and tell me they were for presents,set on the desk ect. and they would never fish them. I tie my flies to fish..at least get them wet once or twice before you retire them.

I use to have flies from Dave Whitlock,Billy Munn,Tim England,Walt Holm,Jimmy Nix...I fished them all til I caught a fish or two on them and then I'd retired them to my bench...my Ex Wife destroyed them all because she knew they meant so much to me.

Edit: Just to take this off topic for a bit. I got into Frogs one time deeply...and came up with this:

0d0c9d1a-3dcf-49ea-8e35-136aad86f2fe_zps

This took about all day to tie the first time I tried it..then I got it down after dozen or two of them to about 3 hrs each.

Use to go to shows,local fly shops and conclaves to tie and would put this on display just to show off.

Guys would ask me how much for one? It caught me off guard,wasn't prepared for that pop quiz

At the time I was getting about $8-$10 a fly(mid 90's) I'd tell them $25(trying to scare them off)they would order 4-12...WTF?

Went through this a few times,($20-$35 ea.) one time I was at the Mountain Home Conclave tying and had it out, some guy walks up loves it and ask me how much? (I don't want to tie them,they are a P.I.A.) I tell him $125 each...he orders 2 dozen! I never showed them again in public.

Tell tell the truth it really didn't fish that well(catch fish) any better than a lot of generic frog patterns but it looked cool. Dave's Swimming Frog out produced it all the time. I had to wrap lead around the bend of the hook or else they would land on their back half the time..took at least an 8wt to toss them and a 10wt is more in line....fished them on 20-25# tippets and went swimming when I snaged them up....caught one of my top 5 Bass of all times on one though...didn't weigh it but around 12-13 lbs.

I'm kicking around the idea of doing this frog for the swap(maybe 2) but with Cohen's Frog legs and elliptical eyes

I've tried to PM him before just to ask some simple questions and I get this:

"The member TheCream cannot receive any new messages"

ah, his box is full lol. If you dont delete them it doesnt take long.

Mike could I get your address? Flies aren't ready yet but the rubber of the month is going to be a bit crazy for me and I want to make sure I get them out on time.