Fly Tying
Brodrash

What are everyones go-to searching flies?

Brodash, Seriously, I can not remember his name. He was the original inventor of the Pistol-pete.

Do you have more info to prove it out???

I swear he was one of my Grandfathers crew at CF&I in the late 70s. I can't be certain of anything around then. Chemo brain hits again.

But i will swear to ANYTHING that the POS claiming he invented it out of Walsenburge/ Trinadad is the biggest lair thief and scoundrel you could ever meet.

I don't really have searching patterns, I just have standard go to imitations that I know work at various places, usually different for each. I guess if I had to pick one though, it would be my version of woolly bugger that I tie, even though I know something else can do better at certain times of year, day etc.

Vette, I mean there is a chance he could have lived in pueblo but he is originally from Idaho so Im betting its not the same guy

Vette, I mean there is a chance he could have lived in pueblo but he is originally from Idaho so Im betting its not the same guy

Sorry. There is a guy around Trinidad who claims he invented the pistol pete...I just hate him. I know he didn't and wish my Grandfather's friend would get the recognition he bloody well deserves.

Brodrash, on 30 Aug 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:snapback.png

Sorry. There is a guy around Trinidad who claims he invented the pistol pete...I just hate him. I know he didn't and wish my Grandfather's friend would get the recognition he bloody well deserves.

Like the Loop Wing Emerger, there seems to be a lot of people that claim to have invented the Pistol Pete. One guy use to live here in Grand Junction, Colorado that claimed he did. That was many moons ago.

1972, i was 6 years old...And i was swinging them on a fly-bubble rig then. My Grandfather gave them to me and said that a friend made them for him. It might have been 73???

I think it might have been Brownie...he was always coming up with strange things. He even made a strange tube thing that had a weight and springs to dampen rifle/shot-gun recoil. But i just can't remember well enough to figure it out.

I guess it doesn't really matter...they are all dead now anyway. Why fight about it?

I do remember laughing very hard when i found out the props are/were beads you had to buy a necklace to get...That was around 78. Dealers started selling them for tying a few years later. But the dealers were about twice the size of the originals. It made it hard to get the right match.