Fly Tying
Brodrash

What are everyones go-to searching flies?

I plan to fish some new water this fall and I'm wondering what some of the more productive searching patterns are. I will be fishing Stillwater and Creeks. I have done research on more specific waters, but there is not a lot available info. I will do a little entomology ( if you can call it that) and flip over some rocks and see what's crawling around. So what everyone's go-to dries, nymphs, wets and streamers?

This question is mostly for trout, but I fish for bass / panfish just as much, so I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone!

Flats, I'm guessing bugger will get the popular answer, I thought about putting an "anything but buggers" disclaimer in the OP, but I didn't want to ask a question and then tell everyone how to answer it LOL.

However, Clousers aren't bad trout patterns, well small Clousers that is!

Anyhow Thanks for the input!

Dries:Adams,irresistible grizzly,bwo,stimulator.

Nymphs:wet hackles nymphs all the way!

Wets:McGinty is always productive for both species.

Streamers:Would definitely have a bugger or two but wouldn't be my go to for such a situation.Small creeks usually have tons of minnows in them.I'd try a variety of minnow mimic patterns;thundercreek, black nosed dace,muddler etc.

Just a few suggestions buddy!Have a good en'!

The MCginty looks promising. I'm sure they all are promising, but I really love Scottish wet flies, and the Mcginty reminds me of them!

Thanks zip

You didn't mention where you will be fishing East, West or Midwest (or I missed it) cause we out west have slightly different choices.

For dries I use Elk Hair Caddis or Stimulators.

For wets/ Nymphs_ Soft Hackle Hare ear, Zebra Midge, Copper John, San Juan Worm

Streamers_Black Crystal Bugger

If I had to pick one of each they would be EHC, Hares Ear and the Bugger.

These work for me (most of the time)

Trampus,

I'm in the extreme southwest corner of Utah I should have specified. I will mostly fishing in the central part of the state though so it will be a lot cooler temperature wise due to the elevation.

As far as the nymphs and Soft hackles Do some fish prefer a bead head, or is the bead mostly used to get the nymphs to the correct depth?

Flytire,

I had seen that post before but couldn't find it I most have skimmed over it in search. Sorry for the duplicate post, but thanks for the link!

Thanks again,

Brody

I have found an unweighted soft hackle fishes in the film or just below the surface. A brass bead with no additional weight will still fish very shallow in a current.

A tungsten bead will drop down to the depths.

This year I have 2 soft hackle, nymph boxes. One fly box is un weighted soft hackles and one box is with small tungsten beads.

I have always carried the nymphs with brass beads, but this year I added 2 additional boxes devoted solely to no weight softhackles and one box with small tungsten nymphs. Been serving me well.

Bob in central CA.

Search fly ... top water popper. You might not get any takes, but if you see swirls, then there are fish taking an interest. Then I'll switch to a subsurface, if I don't get hits on the top.

My all around go to fly ...

Chell's Panfish Attractor: