Fly Tying
Brodrash

What are everyones go-to searching flies?

I fish mostly bass and panfish.Popper is usually my search fly or a small hopper with a beadhead dropper fly like a prince nymph or brassie.

Right off the bat...I don't call them searchers. I call them trollers. You are trolling over waters looking for a hit aren't you???

Dr. Vette, for the most part yes, but then again I could be "searching" for fish I don't know are there...wink.png

You're out of Colorado aren't you? What do you use for trollers?

The MCginty looks promising. I'm sure they all are promising, but I really love Scottish wet flies, and the Mcginty reminds me of them!

Thanks zip

No problem,buddy!I,like yourself,love a good Scottish fly pattern.Although a classic now;I feel a lot of anglers forget about it and its producing capabilities!

My favorite nymph pattern!Claret seal fur,fine copper rib,two turns of guinea!

post-3092-0-83851500-1472344353_thumb.jpg

Great pattern man I may have to get some guinea and tie a few, and then fish it with a heavier dropper nymph.

Thanks again,

Brody

Being a dry fly/top water person. For trout, CDC and Elk, since most of the streams around here have caddis hatches. For warm water, various poppers and sliders.

Dr. Vette, for the most part yes, but then again I could be "searching" for fish I don't know are there...wink.png

You're out of Colorado aren't you? What do you use for trollers?

I pull out Semi realistic bugs...Beatles, Bees, and hoppers for trolling that dull mid day lag. Turn to variants of the Renegade for afternoons to twilight. Smaller hi-floaters for that time when you just can't see and have to fish by sound...I love that challenge.

Early mornings i go small dries with a nymph tailer. Pick that by what you find in the waters.

Early winter i will some times drag a pistol pete...My grandfather's friend's version(small prop) not the POS out of trinidad who claims he invented it...I had them in my box about 5 years before that POS came along. The sad thing is i can't remember my Grand Father's Friend's name...I think it was Brownie but??? I promise he was the original inventor of the Pistol-Pete.

Thanks for all the info Philly and Vette!

Oh and Vette I have a great uncle named Brownie lol do you know where he's from?

trout: #1 is pheasant tail nymph in size 12. #2 and 3 are black crystal bugger or black nosed dace tied clouser style.

bass: #1 is white baitfish, #2 would probably be a crawfish or just plain ole' popper.

Especially this time of year, though, I add a letort cricket to the menu. I've been having tremendous results with it.

For trout it's a soft hackle. Bass, seams like I always start with a Panfish Charlie dead drifted into the root balls of blow downs in streams. Lakes and ponds, a popper. For bluegill, doesn't matter, those little devils hit anything.

Trampus,

I'm in the extreme southwest corner of Utah I should have specified. I will mostly fishing in the central part of the state though so it will be a lot cooler temperature wise due to the elevation.

As far as the nymphs and Soft hackles Do some fish prefer a bead head, or is the bead mostly used to get the nymphs to the correct depth?

Hey Brody

The Copper John and Zebra are both bead heads as you know. The only other of the flies I mentioned that I fish with a bead head and without is the Woolly Bugger. I fish it with a bead head in still water and in deep pools or runs with good success. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info Philly and Vette!

Oh and Vette I have a great uncle named Brownie lol do you know where he's from?

Yeah, He use to live on 29th or 30th lane out on the mesa. In Pueblo county...on the farm lands.

Searching patterns for me, for that area, would be an egg, size 14 (Lt pink or lt. orange) or size 12 SJ worm Red or Tan, size 18 PT nymph, size 14 Hares Ear, size 16 Prince. I carry a wide variety of Soft Hackles. Peacock and Partridge, Partridge and Hare, and Partridge Pheasant tail, and a bunch tied with hen hackles. Throw in a couple size 20 midge larva/pupa patterns and you should be set.

I have a few patterns tied with beads , but I usually use patterns with out beads. I carry different size, material and color beads with me. I slide the bead on the tippet before I tie the nymph or Soft Hackle on and let the bead slide down against the fly. It stays against the fly the entire drift and the trout dont seem to mind that it's not tied to the pattern. That way most of my nymphs and soft hackles can do double duty.

Just my .02 cents. Works for me here in Western Colorado.

Oh, size 18 RS2's in Olive or Gray.

Vette, although he did live on farm land it wasn't in pueblo so it wasn't my uncle lol.

Dubbn, thanks for the info. I have most those flies and if I didn't have them I tied them today.Im gonna go fishing tommorow so I'll give them a shot.

Oh and that tip about the bead Is great!

Thanks again,

Brody